14" bandsaw

Page 3 of 4
Ed, Which models exactly are you comparing of the Delta. Was it the 28-276? Thanks, Grant

This is my previous post.

For one thing, the Ridgid is ugly. Appearance aside, there won't be a huge difference in use. The Delta looks to have a smaller footprint because the motor is mounted under, rather than in back of the saw.
I've only take a cursory glance at the Ridgid. I've not seen this particular model of Delta up close, but other Delta saws are much nicer fit and finish. The Delta table is 16 x 16 while the Ridgid is only 14 x 14. That can make a difference in how you handle and support your wood. The Delta dust port seems to be in a better location also. I'd spend the extra $20 for it, but that is just me. Ed
Ed, The Delta 28-276 that is at Lowes has the motor mounted behind. I wish it was under and did have a smaller footprint. /Grant
smaller footprint because the

Hmm, the picture sure looks like it is below. I trust you looking at the setup more than the picture though. Ed
Go to the Lowes site and search for Delta Bandsaw and it show it behind.

Go to the Delta Machinery or www.Amazon.com/delta site and it will sow the motor on the bottom. Ed
Yes, and this is what leads me to beleive that there are different styles of the same model number. the newer one has the motor underneath.
and search for Delta Bandsaw and it show it behind.
Grant wrote:

Going to the Delta site it looks like the stand will accept the motor in either location.
--
--John

keep an eye on ebay...
http://tinyurl.com/2ylmr
will do.
Bridger:

Ditto that. This one is in Utah. T'would make for a nice "out 'n back" going to go and pick it up.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item809921462
And so far it's still priced below what I paid for mine.
UA100
Yeah If I buy used I want one in So. Cal.. That one looks nice though. Thanks, Grant

Grant wrote:

They aren't bad saws despite the guides, table fixings and lack-o-riser block. Here's another one but it looks like they're moving farther away from you.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryX256&item810269909
Still, the price looks very good, for now.
UA100
Yes I saw that one. Wish they were just down the road.
Last September I drove up to Muncy, Pa. to the Grizzly show room. My intent was to purchase the 16" band saw. I was planning on getting the one with the cast iron wheels. If you have never been to a Grizzly showroom do yourself a favor and take a trip. That place is packed full of all kinds of machinery. I ended up getting the 17" with cast alum. wheels. I works great, I use it for resawing rough sawn 2x8 oak and walnut. I even use the cheap Grizzly 1" blades. You can't push the stock through fast enough to bog down the motor. I also have a Grizzly joiner and the 15" thickness planer. I couldn't be happier with any of them. I started out with a crapsman cabinet saw, but soon found myself sucked into the Unisaw mystique. I bought one about three years ago. It's a great saw, but I have yet to do something on it that couldn't be done on the Crapsmen. I have found that as long as the iron is good, you can get anything to cut perfect. If you can't, you should hire someone who knows what he is doing to set it up for you. The problems that the other poster was whining about, was more than likely self inflicted. If it wasn't Grizzly would have most certainly made it right. I even regret selling the crapsmen table saw. It was working great but I finally convinced myself that I needed the Unisaw. But then again, I convince myself a new $400.00 drive will straighten out my golf game about every three or four months. Currently I am on a Dewalt tool kick, can anyone give me a slap along side the head to knock it out of me. Every time I see a yellow tool I start reaching for my wallet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&categoryX256&item810269909
On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:46:53 +0000, Robert Smith wrote:

If you've got 'yellow fever' check out a DeWalt 735 planer. You'll be impressed how quickly and smoothly ittl plane your wallet. And you won't be disappointed with what it does to wood either.
Kim
Where in SOCal? First, There is a woodworking show next weekend at Fairplex. You should be able to get better than sale price on tools there.
Second, I bounced back and forth over 14" bandsaws before deciding on the 16" Jet. Man, am I glad I did. It was well worth the extra money. (Cry now, laugh later.) My neighbor has a Delta 14". Good saw, but now comes over to my shop asking, "Will you resaw this for me?"
With the addition of a new 1"-3tpi blade from a local blade maker, it cuts like butter. 8/4 - 10"x30" Purpleheart - 3/16" slices- finish to 1/8" - perfect. Dave

seems
weekend at Fairplex. You should be

Could you be a bit more specific when and where this show is? I'll to a search for "Fairplex" though after I send this post off.
http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/show.php?eventName=Pomona
Here ya go.
next

Thanks. I might just have to go. Do you think they'll have Grizzly's being sold there? I called Grizzly and they don't have any in local shops. that you have to buy direct. /Grant