14" bandsaw

93 1/2" is the most common size for 14" band saws. They are very easy to find in just about every configuration, and made by all manufacturers of band saw blades.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and

Grant,

I agree with Ed. As I said in an earlier post, look around for sale prices. I have the Jet 14" closed base and it's done everything I ever asked of it. If only my would ;-} (just kidding dear).

Jo

Ed, Sorry about the email. I always hit the wrong button on my newsreader.

Reply to
JLJ21710

I believe that the absolute best values are on ebay. There are two American made Powermatic 14" saws currently on ebay, both are relatively cheap, and vastly better than any import you can buy.

Rick

JLJ21710 wrote:

Reply to
Rick Stein

Perhaps, if you live near the seller.

I looked at one of them and it is located in Utah, they will charge $75 to strap it to a pallet, then you pay truck shipping on top of that. Aside from the cost of the saw, I can see a few hundred $ to get it any distance. Grizzly and Wilke Machine, etc, have good deals with truckers. Most small dealers do not and moving a single pallet a thousand or more miles gets rather pricey. You can buy a new Jet for the price of shipping and crating alone.

Think before you bid. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Ok there is one Jet that is within pickup distance (1hr each way).

what do you think it is worth?:

Grant

Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

Reply to
Grant

Looks like I'd need to buy addtional things like a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

Reply to
Grant

A new one is $450 on sale. They have been painted a cream color for the past few years so this is at least four or more years old. Looks like very good condition though; I'd pay up to $250 to $300 for it.

An hour ride is not bad. I mentioned shipping before and they offered a cost estimator. This one is some distance from me and the shipping cost is estimated at $200 plus crating. If you can't pick it up, eBay can be an expensive way to buy. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Edwin, Yes, I'm not going to ship. I'll see what happens with that auction. The seller auctions seem to gather alot of bids and higher prices for some reason, I don't know.

Ever heard of a Precision Packard?

Look a bit tattered but if it was to be had cheap would it be worth fixing up?

Reply to
Grant

Grant:

It's a Chiwanese clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone of a Chiwanese clone of the Delta 14" band saw. In other words, this one was still around when all the others had been picked over and passed over by Jet and Grizzly.

This about that. Believe me when I tell you that finding and fixing up a good used machine can be a very satisfying experience. Some even find out they like fixing up old machines to be more fun than wooddorking. No really, it's true and I will recommend this off shoot of the hobby to anyone for just about any machine except for a Chiwanese clone probably based on a Chiwanese clone of a Chiwanese clone of the Delta 14" band saw.

Then on the other hand, for $15 you won't feel quite so bad when you finally find and bring home a good band saw and you can give this one the heel of your boot out the back end of your pick up truck (with the Dale Earnhardt press on decal in the back window).

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Looks like it is a tool in very good condition, thus the higher price. The dealer may have a good reputation for selling quality items. You also have people bidding close to or evenover retail. I don't know if they get caught in the last minute frenzy or if they are just too stupid to do any homework.

If you like to tinker with machines, it may be a steal. You can buy tires, the wheels may have to be balanced and aligned, bearing replaced, pulleys replaced, guides, etc. Or you can put 50 hours and a couple hundred bucks and still not be able to cut and follow a line. I don't know of this brand and I've never rebuilt a bandsaw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thanks for the insight.

Reply to
Grant

Yeah I'm gunna pass on that one. I did a google search on that name and found nothing.

How about this Delta in Las Vegas:

mention of the condition or how much use, or damage. I know my wife would like a trip to Vegas.

Reply to
Grant

No mention of the condition or how much use, or damage. I know my wife

If you do good in LV, you can buy any saw you want!

This looks like the higher priced Delta. If it is, the retail was in the $750 to $800 range. It would be a good buy near the starting price. In good shape, it could easily bring $600. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I can see this being true. I know some cyclists and musicians that spend much more time restoring old stuff than they do using it. They get a ton of satisfaction out of getting something from the scrap heap into nearly new condition, with original parts.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Before you spend money on fences and store bought jigs, check out Mark Duginske's band saw book. You can get at a library, Amazon, or Woodcraft.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Or this one in SoCal.

think the flame job adds a nice touch to it.

By the way, this is not a 14" saw.

Unisaw A100

. Thet made a 14 inch with a 98 inch blade- z model- The saw is great but the only place to get pre made blades is grizzley. I noted the new one is 93.5 but one should double check. I wish I would have

Reply to
ossidog