14" bandsaw

Page 1 of 4
Ok it has been awhile since I posted on usenet. But I used to and it seems a good place to seek and share advice.
I am looking to purchase a 14" bandsaw. I'm in Southern California. Any recommendations or deals in the area here I should consider? I cannot afford super expensive. It would be great to pick up a used one for less, but I've searched and it is hard to find a used one.
Thanks, Grant vanbokklen At yahoo Dot com
I should have also mentioned that I'd like to keep the price under $400 if that is possible and still get a good saw. -Grant
I've only looked at Home Depot and Lowes. Home Depot has the Ridgid and Lowes has a Delta for about the same price : http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productIdY964-32764-28-276
Can I do better than these? Which would be better this Delta or the Rigid?

Grant,
Consider the Grizzly G0555 (approx 375.00 USD). I've read a lot of good things about it (and a few bad things, but mostly good). Search rec.woodworking using google and you'll find some threads. If your able to go a little over your budget, look at the Shop Fox G9970 (approx. 450.00 USD). Also, look around for sale prices, I've seen the Jet 14" enclosed base BS on sale for 399.00.
Jo
Thanks Jo, I've did not know about the Grizzly. Took a look online just now and it looks like it comes stock with some good features.
The Delta 28-276 that was $399 at Lowes, I'm not sure exactly yet what features it comes with. It was stickered "made in USA" on it, but I've searched Google and some were saying that it is overseas made. But the Delta 28-776 seems prefered to the 14" Ridgid by posters here.
But reviews searched on Google here at rec.woodworking praise the guide assembly on the Delta.
Anyone here want to chime in on the Delta 28-276 vs. the Grizzly G0555? Or even vs. the 14" Ridgid that is at Home Depot?
Thanks, Grant
http://www.liwoodworkers.org/woodrack/images/grizzlybandsaw.pdf
In rec.woodworking

I LOVE my Grizzly G0555. I have never used the Delta but a quick glance at the one in Lowes assures me that for less money (shipping was $55 but between sales tax and the lower $375 price) I got MORE saw. I purchased the riser kit at the same time. I have resawed 9.5" hard maple, oak, walnut and more with very little trouble. I use Olsen AllPro and MVP blades.
My only complaints are that the tension spring is too weak to tension a 3/4" blade. What I've learned is that I don't need a 3/4" blade to resaw successfully. I still intend on buying a heavier spring in the future. FWIW, the Delta won't tension the 3/4" blade either.
The other complaint is that it is pretty hard to get to the bottom guides with the allen wrench. I change blades a lot and I can swap a blade and readjust everything in about 5 mins so it isn't a big deal but that is the part that takes the longest.
The fence is nice but you will want to build a taller attachment for support if you do resawing thicker than about 6". The dust collection works great. It is quiet and smooth. The quick release tensioner is great, if you remember to use it.
As that link shows you, assembly is not bad at all, the saw is assembled completley, just put the base together and mount it. The one flaw they point out about the guide arm not centering has been fixed on my saw. They now use a bearing and spring. Believe me because I was on my hands and knees looking for it one night :-)
Bruce
Just curious. Is the 93.5" blade that the Grizzly uses a "Common" blade?
The more I look into these saws the better the Grizzly looks.
Is there a good but inexpensive aftermarket Mobile Base for the Grizzly G0555? Grizzly wants $70 for theirs.
In rec.woodworking

I'm not sure what you mean by "common." It is not bimetal or any special Swedish steel and it isn't made from previously before unknown elements recovered from the Roswell UFO crash. It's just a 6tpi 3/8" blade that cuts fine but doens't seem to last long.

The grizzly IS great. I love mine.

Can't help with that one. The one Sears sells sucks. Make you're own out of hardwood?

93 1/2" is the most common size for 14" band saws. They are very easy to find in just about every configuration, and made by all manufacturers of band saw blades.
Barry
Thanks!
"B a r r y" wrote in message > 93 1/2" is the most common size for 14" band saws.
Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.
"Grant" <3@2.1> wrote in message news:kJhgc.17148$L75.5122@fed1read06...
> Looks like I'd need to buy a fence and stuff with the Jet at Woodcraft.

Before you spend money on fences and store bought jigs, check out Mark Duginske's band saw book. You can get at a library, Amazon, or Woodcraft.
Barry
. Thet made a 14 inch with a 98 inch blade- z model- The saw is great but the only place to get pre made blades is grizzley. I noted the new one is 93.5 but one should double check. I wish I would have

Not so. Most bandsaw blade makers will make customs sizes. Suffolk Machine for one, I think Woodhaven will Lee Valley sells a kit for brazing blades and you can buy 100' coils. Ed
On 18 Apr 2004 08:19:33 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (ossidog) brought forth from the murky depths:

No, you can get custom length blades from Suffolk Machinery, too. http://www.timberwolf1.com /
-- SAVE THE PARROTS! Eschew the use of poly! ---------- http://diversify.com Poly-free Website Development
By the way, I have a Grizzly G0555 and it comes with a 92 1/2" blade! There are references to it having a 93 1/2" which is pretty much standard for a 14" BS but that isn't what the Grizzly uses. When you add the riser block it then uses a 105" blade which is standard with most of the other 14" BS that have a 12" throat.
Ron

There is an adjustment on the back of the saw that sets it for use from anything from 92 to 93.5.
Don

Therein likes the problem.
Mo matter what brand or tool and no matter what marketing and distribution, the cheap saw is not going to have the same components and same finish as the higher priced saws.
Differences are not always apparent. Thickness of materials in the trunions, the web under the table, the spokes of the wheels that keep it from deflecting. The motor just looks like a black can with a shaft, but inside there is copper windings. It may have smaller bearing in the cheap one. Drives may have a sloppier tolerance on balance.
Frankly, the better saws are in the $500 and up range. If I saw you, I'd gat my ass over to Woodcraft today and take advantage of the 10% sale and get the Jet 14" for $449 today. That is the minimum saw that I'd recommend if you want quality.
I started out looking to spend less, but bought the Jet a couple of years ago. I don't regret it. Ed