14" bandsaw

Ok it has been awhile since I posted on usenet. But I used to and it seems a good place to seek and share advice.

I am looking to purchase a 14" bandsaw. I'm in Southern California. Any recommendations or deals in the area here I should consider? I cannot afford super expensive. It would be great to pick up a used one for less, but I've searched and it is hard to find a used one.

Thanks, Grant vanbokklen At yahoo Dot com

Reply to
Grant

I should have also mentioned that I'd like to keep the price under $400 if that is possible and still get a good saw.

-Grant

Reply to
Grant

I've only looked at Home Depot and Lowes. Home Depot has the Ridgid and Lowes has a Delta for about the same price :

I do better than these? Which would be better this Delta or the Rigid?

Reply to
Grant

Hi Grant,

Don't give up trying to find a good used BS like Delta. You need to have some patience and luck, but one will turn up. When it does have cash on hand and if it looks good to you don't wait...someone will be waiting to snatch it up. I found my used Delta BS in the online version of the LA Times classifieds. I called the guy up ASAP and told him I'd show up with his money the next morning. I got a year old 14" Delta with open stand, 1hp motor, miter gauge, fence, and mobile base for $250.

Check Ebay, Penny Saver, online and local machinery dealers, Woodworker West Magazine, newspaper, friends, family, etc. and one will turn up. For $400 you can buy a really nice 16" BS. FWIW, I bought my Dayton 10" drill press from a machinery dealer in Fullerton that had it on Ebay. There's a SoCal machinery dealer that always post nice stuff on Ebay (can't remember the Co.'s name though).

Good luck and happy BS hunting,

Layne

Reply to
Layne

You can't go wrong with the griz GO555.It's the best selling 14" on the market.Very well built.$375.00 plus $55.00 shipping.

Reply to
Big John

Consider the Grizzly G0555 (approx 375.00 USD). I've read a lot of good things about it (and a few bad things, but mostly good). Search rec.woodworking using google and you'll find some threads. If your able to go a little over your budget, look at the Shop Fox G9970 (approx. 450.00 USD). Also, look around for sale prices, I've seen the Jet 14" enclosed base BS on sale for 399.00.

Jo

Reply to
John

I did a little comparison a couple of weeks ago. IMO, the Delta has some better features.

Buying used can be very good, but it depends on where you live. I've been reading the local want ads for woodworking tools for three years. Rarely do I see anything of interest. Could just be the area that I live in as other seem to find some good deals. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

keep an eye on ebay...

bridger

Thanks Jo, I've did not know about the Grizzly. Took a look online just now and it looks like it comes stock with some good features.

The Delta 28-276 that was $399 at Lowes, I'm not sure exactly yet what features it comes with. It was stickered "made in USA" on it, but I've searched Google and some were saying that it is overseas made. But the Delta 28-776 seems prefered to the 14" Ridgid by posters here.

But reviews searched on Google here at rec.woodworking praise the guide assembly on the Delta.

Anyone here want to chime in on the Delta 28-276 vs. the Grizzly G0555? Or even vs. the 14" Ridgid that is at Home Depot?

Thanks, Grant

Reply to
Grant

No I won't give up. I'm looking. Lost out on a 14" Ridgid the other day on eBay by $2 at $217 like new, used only a couple of hours. I'd love to have a higher end used Delta for a good price.

I'll check the LA Times and Penny Saver.

Thanks! Grant

Reply to
Grant

Big John, Thanks for the reply, it look nice in the pictures I see online. I was not even considering it till you guys mentioned it here. Do you have any comparison on the Grizzly GO555 to the $399 Delta 28-276?

-Grant

Reply to
Grant

Ed, Which models exactly are you comparing of the Delta. Was it the 28-276? Thanks, Grant

Reply to
Grant

Where in SOCal? First, There is a woodworking show next weekend at Fairplex. You should be able to get better than sale price on tools there.

Second, I bounced back and forth over 14" bandsaws before deciding on the

16" Jet. Man, am I glad I did. It was well worth the extra money. (Cry now, laugh later.) My neighbor has a Delta 14". Good saw, but now comes over to my shop asking, "Will you resaw this for me?"

With the addition of a new 1"-3tpi blade from a local blade maker, it cuts like butter. 8/4 - 10"x30" Purpleheart - 3/16" slices- finish to 1/8" - perfect. Dave

TeamCasa

"TeamCasa" > First, There is a woodworking show next weekend at Fairplex. You should be

Could you be a bit more specific when and where this show is? I'll to a search for "Fairplex" though after I send this post off.

Reply to
Grant

ya go.

next

TeamCasa

Thanks. I might just have to go. Do you think they'll have Grizzly's being sold there? I called Grizzly and they don't have any in local shops. that you have to buy direct. /Grant

Reply to
Grant

This is my previous post.

For one thing, the Ridgid is ugly. Appearance aside, there won't be a huge difference in use. The Delta looks to have a smaller footprint because the motor is mounted under, rather than in back of the saw.

I've only take a cursory glance at the Ridgid. I've not seen this particular model of Delta up close, but other Delta saws are much nicer fit and finish. The Delta table is 16 x 16 while the Ridgid is only 14 x 14. That can make a difference in how you handle and support your wood. The Delta dust port seems to be in a better location also. I'd spend the extra $20 for it, but that is just me. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't see them listed as a exhibitor. Good thing.

I have seen the Grizz - I'd pass. Life is to short to buy cheap tools. My late Father-in-law, was a tightwad. I decided that the Grizz TS was going to be just as good as the Unisaw. I traveled up to Apple Valley to put it together for him. After hours of, fighting this pile of junk, rethreading un-tapped holes, replacing cheap bolts that snapped with little effort, ect. I finally got it working and *close* to level and square. We let it run for a few minutes to settle in the he ran a few pieces thru to test its' power. Well then the motor started to make noise, then more noise, then smoke!

He sent it back, bought the Unisaw, used it for five years. Now my brother-in-law uses it at his shop almost daily. Sorry about the rant but I don't want to hear from you later that you hate it.

Note to wreak, Save the flames about how you have a Grizz and they are fine. Just admit you shop at at Harbor Freight and are willing to sacrifice quality price. Ask yourself, would I be proud to hand this tool down to my kids?

Dave

TeamCasa