14" BAND SAW SUGGESTIONS

Page 1 of 2
I have been using an INCA 10 1/2" band saw for a while but am moving and have to return it to my father-in-law. I could use a bit more height and am thinking about a 14" model with riser blocks. Space isn't an issue and money is not too critical of an issue. Only Laguna seems out of reach. I'm considering Delta (both X5 and the 1 hp),Jet,grizzly ultimate bandsaw (is it any good?) and possibly the Rikon RK14 cs (if anyone has any info at all on these). My uses are for curved cuts on softer hardwoods (basswood and poplar) from 3-11 inches thick. thanks for your input- Frank
Delta has a better arrangement on the guide blocks, in my experience, though the newer imports don't appear to be the saw the old US cast one was.

skip the Delta (been there, done that) and get a Powermatic instead. More features, more quality, more better! :)
dave
Frank wrote:

Not to pick a fight, but from the pictures in the catalogs, the Powermatic looks like a JET painted PM yellow. What's the difference aside from ~$200 bucks?
Chris (griz G0555 owner)

--
Chris Richmond | I don't speak for Intel & vise versa

snipped-for-privacy@filc8604.fm.intel.com (Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~) writes:

I think it's $300 more that the CS ($200 more than the DX).
Let me get the catalog... I'll list the differences
Jet 14" Open Stand saw Micro-adjustable lower blade guide 3/4 HP Motor 15" x 15" table
Jet 14" Closed Stand Woodworking Bandsaw (JWBS-14CS)
1 HP Motor Closed stand
Jet 14" Deluxe (JWBS-14DX) 1 1/4 HP Motor Micro-adjustable ball bearing UPPER and lower guide Poly V-Belt drive Quick Tension Release Nine-Spoke wheels
Powermatic 14CS (PWBS-14CS) 1 1/2 HP Motor Yellow color 2-piece tilting 20" x 15" table Gooseneck Lamp Chip Blower Carter Quick-Release Lever Micro-adjustable DUAL ball bearing upper and lower guide BALANCED 9-spoke wheels Steel T-style Rip Fence with resaw attachment Miter Gauge
- - -
I bought the deluxe, and didn't get the Poly V-Belt. The catalog says the 9-spoke wheels on the DX are "durable" instead of "balanced." I assume that is market-speak to make the PWBS-14CS more attractive.
If you get more info on them, you'll see the Powermatic has additional features. You are looking at pictures at a glance instead of the features list. Read up on the Powermatic and then we'll talk again. <g> Just to be sure, I looked at the Jet website to be sure they hadn't recently upgraded the Jet to match the Powermatic's features. They didn't.
Here are a few items. Serpentine style belt. Carter guides. compressed air nozzle to keep cutting line clean. task light. lower wheel brush. The powermatic runs quietly and smoothly. The Delta (which I owned for a couple of weeks until the store agreed to a full refund) vibrated and lacked the features I just listed.
dave
Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~ wrote:

David, in looking at the powermatic and the delta x5 they seem pretty well matched up...but you had a problem with your delta vibrating? what model? are the carter guides good with 1/4" blade, while cutting curves? -Frank
writes:

My Rockwell 14" shuddered as it coasted to a stop before it had segmented belt. No longer.
On 22 Jul 2004 05:03:01 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@customrockinghorse.com (Frank) wrote:

there really is no comparison between the delta and the powermatic. You MUST be looking at pictures of the overall "look" rather than delving into researching the features. I don't use a blade smaller than 5/16 and have no problem. With a good blade you could remove the guides and cut curves to your heart's content, anyway. TIP: don't leave the rear guide too far from the blade, or when you start cutting, the teeth will start hitting the side guides if you've set THEM up just behind the teeth.
I'm surprised you haven't uncovered the differences between the Powermatic and Delta yet.
dave
Frank wrote:

Hey Dave, I actually havent used either saw, I've been using a small Inca for years. outside of the obvious (light,blower,guides) what is the quality difference? hold my hand a bit, I really don't know, aside from corporate descriptions what these 2 tools are like. Thanks for your time-Frank
writes:

Do a Google search of "Delta BS vibration" and you'll uncover all sorts of posts.
Rather than relying on my opinion, Frank I heartily suggest that you locate a store within a reasonable driving distance that has the two BS's. I own Delta stuff, but I do NOT like their BS. I wasted a lot of time trying to tame vibration on their 1.5 HP unit. Running the Powermatic is a dream compared to the Delta. You gotta see the two to see what I mean. You need to "kick the tires". :)
dave
Frank wrote:

A wolf in sheeps clothing!
Rich Smith responds:

Dunno about wolves, but bandsaw vibration, Delta or others, can be traced to a few fairly simple causes. The original--1994--Delta complaint was caused by incorrectly thicknesses bandsaw tires. That is, they varied in thickness. Some of the others were traced to loose nuts and bolts.
Probably a few could be traced to the nut at the table. I've owned a couple Delta 14" and used several Powermatic 14". There's not much to choose between them (I can't comment on how hard the PM is to set up, as that was already done), but proper set-up, including checking wheel balance and the positioning of the guides is a big help. Some time ago, a friend of mine who worked for years in furniture factories gave me a few pointers on setting up the bandsaw. There's nothing earth shattering to remember. Use good blades. Be careful of all adjustments. Feed at the pace the machine will accept with a particular wood and cut.
Charlie Self "I think the most un-American thing you can say is, 'You can't say that.' " Garrison Keillor
On 23 Jul 2004 07:22:26 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Rich) wrote:

Yeah, I noticed that too and was debating whether to point it out. Looks like our old buddy is back.

ain't misbehavin' ....
On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 03:49:03 GMT, patriarch

but nothin' new to say either....
WB BAD
writes:

FWIW, I own a 14" Delta (28-299A, the very model that Dave speaks of) and am very happy with it. I've never seen any of the vibration and jitter that he mentions. My only complaint is the pretty-crappy dust-collection arrangement, which it looks like has been greatly improved on the newer models. I can't speak of the Powermatic because I'm not familiar with it, but at the time, I compared the Delta with the 14" Jet and IMO Delta was the hands-down winner.
Note: The 28-299 is American made. I think (not certain) that the current 14" models are Taiwanese, so my opinion may not apply to them.
On 22 Jul 2004 19:23:14 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@customrockinghorse.com (Frank) wrote:

John Carlson said:

I own the Chinese Delta 14" and posted a review a while back. I installed a riser block, replaced drive belt and the wheel tires with urethane and check/set thing as they should be, and have no vibration problems at all. Basically blueprinted the thing. Works great - for a big hunk of Chinese cast iron. When I turned it on out of the box, it was a different story, however.
My purchase of this *particular* model was based on it using standard Delta accessories, a lever tension release, and a cost of $340.
Greg G.
snipped-for-privacy@filc8604.fm.intel.com (Chris Richmond - MD6-FDC ~) wrote in message

I haven't looked in a while, but as I recall, there's a substantial difference in the wheels between the two saws - something like 5 spoke aluminum vs. 9 spoke cast iron.
Bob