Subject Author Posted Replies

My best Christmas present.
Was a phone call. A friend of mine is a single parent (as was I for many years) and she doesn't have a lot of luck with men, health or whatever. She does have a bright engaging ten year old boy. A...
10
10

Figure 8 Table Top Fasteners - Need some tips
I bought a pack of figure 8 table top fasteners for my mission style coffee table. I needs some tips. My table is roughly 22" X 48". Should I use 3 fasteners for each rail and 1 for the middle of each...
4
4

Tool Review - Arbortech Power Chisel
My Christmas present to me Let me just say at the outset I love it. There are a couple of annoying things, but on the whole it is right up there with my fave tools. What is it? Here you will find...
4
4

Cure for jointer envy
Here's a sure cure for that nagging jointer envy (16 inch jointer): Christmas and Happy Holidays to all! PDX David http://www.gilmerwood.com/01-09-02-machines.htmMerry
4
4

Re: Waterlox vs. Behlems Rock Hard Table Top finish
Yes, IF you wait long enough, which is slightly longer for Waterlox. I like Rockhard or McCloskey Gymseal for tables that might get a drink set on them.
2
2

Delta X5 BS Dust Collection - Attn: Frank B.!
I thought about your experience with Delta 14" BS dust collection, and since you don't talk out of your butt, retested my setup. I tried the 5" front optional front pickup, the stock X5 rear, as well...
1
1

A Parable About Timing, Memory Aids And Woodworking (semi-long)
A Parable About Timing, Memory Aids And Woodworking (semi-long) The end of the year is a good time for reflection and perhaps an opportunity for some insight. Starting when my son was about three, we...
1
1

RE: Mockups
Lost the "sample" thread, but SFWIW, it has been a while since I've had to make any full size mockups, but just about the fastest and lowest cost construction method I found was to use doorskins, 1x2...

Ipe railing systems?
I'm looking at Ipe to build about 60 feet of deck railing. My lumberyard has 1-1/2 x 1-1/2 milled verticals, 4x4 posts, and an assortment of milled pieces which are obviously meant for the top and...
3
3

Why 1/4 sawn?
It looks like I may be able to get my hands on a large, newly fallen white oak. It seems that white oak in particular is often 1/4 sawn. I've worked with plainsawn white oak in the past and had a lot...
6
6

Re: Update from an old friend
Theo, I think we are on the same wavelength. I've been doing some "rustic" boxes using a rotary chisel in a roto-zip to develop the texture, then lightly sanding with fine paper. On one I used two...
9
9

Cordless?
I new it had to happen: http://www.barbarak.com/item.php?id=76#top
13
13

Satisfied customer: Steve Wall Lumber
Just received my second order from Steve Wall Lumber this Tuesday -- 100 BF of 8/4 Cherry. Dealing with these folks has been a pleasure, they respond promptly and the quality of the wood was better...
24
24

Stain before or after assembly?
I'm building a TV/stereo cabinet and have got all of the pieces cut and jointed. All I need to do now is assemble, sand, stain and finish with clear coat. I understand that it's best to stain before...
6
6

Where's Rod Serling?
Bought one of those jazzy glue roller bottles the other day. Now I understand why Norm's projects drip and squeeze. As I cleaned the shop I noticed the following on the cardboard insert: "WARNING:...
15
15