12-year-old Titebond II still "works"

I've have a gallon of Franklin TiteBond II wood glue I bought back in

1995 --back when I had more ambitious plans for further woodworking projects. It's been sitting in a variety of environments, including sub zero winter temps. I thought I could find an expiration date on the jug but I can't see it now. The color now is between orange and "school bus" yellow. It smells vinegary. I went and bought new little bottle at Lowes yesterday, but I wanted to see how the old stuff performed before I throw it out.

I took two pieces of scrap yellow pine, spread a circular dab on one of the flat faces (not on the end grain), mashed the pieces together, did not clamp, and left it to cure for about 20 hours.

This morning I clamped one end in a vise and tried to knock the other off with a hammer. It took some effort, they did separate, but the glue was still obviously stronger than the underlying wood. Big slivers of wood from one piece still stuck to the other within the dab circle. With a fingernail the hardness of the glue was about the same in my experience as if I used fresh glue. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't brittle.

The major disadvantage is application. It is way more viscous now. It would never squeeze out of the bottle thru the applicator tip. I had to unscrew the cap and squeeze some out thru the bottle end. The consistency is close to say refrigerated hot fudge sauce, slightly pasty and a tiny bit elastic. It is best spread with a putty knife.

I guess I'm not going to throw it out after all, since I eschew waste, but I probably wouldn't use it for a primo project.

--zeb

Reply to
zeb7k

I discovered the same thing with a gallon of Elmer's Carpenter's Wood Glue here recently (and, about the same age).

-- john.

Reply to
jcatora

What is Titebond? A pva?

Tim W

Reply to
Tim W

yes...

--

Reply to
dpb

I never throw mine away. If it gets too thick I thin it with water. You have to be careful not to add too much water. I talked to a titebond rep at a show and he said it wouldn't hurt. I've never had a failure with it. I thinned the red cap bottle. I assume it would also work on the blue capped bottle also. I also heard that you can thin Gorilla with acetone. I haven't tried it yet.

Reply to
Dave

I'm a bit confused. What have you been using for the past 12 years that allowed the Titebond to languish in storage? You said you won't use it for a primo project, but it sounds like you wouldn't use it for anything - unless you haven't glued *anything* in 12 years and you're now about to start. New glue for primo projects, old glue for basic stuff. You see my confusion? Kinda of hard to explain.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:1185178379.246707.288600 @k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

If he's like me, probably another bottle of glue. It gets moved (as in house move) or lost and then stays "unused" for a long time. I've long since gotten another bottle of glue, and have been happily not using the first.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper