12" planers

Well I have looked over the reviews of 12" planers. They all were dated around 2002 reviews. I wonder it opinions have changed. It looked like Makita, DeWalt, and Rigid were in the top. I am about to buy one, just looking for latest thoughts on 12" planers.
Thanks, NickNack
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Second try. Something ain't working right. Anyway, look for 13" planers now, not 12".
Good luck.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Look for tests and opinions on 13" planers now.

Is 13" a new standard size?

My guess would be that 12" is a commonly used width when constructing many projects and planing something of that width would require a blade a little bit wider, thus the need for 13".
Upscale said:

And marketing gurus are always looking to one-up the competition. Thus we have progressed from 12" to 12.5" to 13". And with cheap labor/offshore production, expect to see it rise even more - to a point. The design limitations of uni-motors, aluminum cutter-heads and such will restrict this width eventually. We're probably very close... It will be exceeded on a few models, they will be disasters, and the market will then back off and settle on some reasonable industry standard for lunchbox portable planers.
FWIW,
Greg G.
Greg G. wrote:

Sears has the Craftsman 15" planer/moulder, steel head, belt driven, that uses a universal motor. I've had one for a bit, and it works well in light cuts (but none of these universal motor planers will take anything approaching a heavy cut). It also hogs out some sizeable molding patterns without any trouble, except for getting the alignment correct. I would say, though, that 18" is not likely with a universal motor.
On 11/8/2005 2:47 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

difference between the 12 1/2" vs the 13" was almost $100 for almost every brand.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7 SENS BS ???

mover wrote:

about 6 months. No complaints.

Many have been replace by 13" planers now. Delta 580 and the DW 735 seem to be the most popular around here lately. I have, and like, the Delta.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

FWIW, I've had a DeWalt DW733 for a few years, and I'd buy it again.
The 733 became the 734 with some changes.

If you have the room, consider also the smaller stationary planers. I would probably put another $ 300 with the money that would buy an expensive portable and go with a stationary.
Thanks every one. I am going to get the DeWalt 13". It has alot of good reviews.
NickNack