12/07/2012

71 years and counting.

I still remember.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I honor it, but I don't remember it - it was 4 years before I was born. How old are you, Lew?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

-------------------------------------------------- "Doug W> I honor it, but I don't remember it - it was 4 years before I was

  1. I was 4 that Sunday when they hit Pearl.

All I remember was my mother screaming when the news came over the radio.

It wasn't until later that I understood that it meant war, but what was "war" to a 4+ year old.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett laid this down on his screen :

Gosh! the 2nd World war was 2 years old by then.

Reply to
John G

It was a bit older than that if you lived in China. BTW Darwin was bombed more heavily, more often than Pearl Harbour.

Parko

Lew Hodgett wrote the following on 12/7/2012 10:24 PM (ET):

I was 4 years and 2 days old at the time. My 75th BD was the other day, Dec 5th.

Reply to
willshak

Touche.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Same here Lew - my father had already taught me to read the newspaper so I got the full effect over the next several days.

Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, the first shuttle crash, and 9/11 - hard to forget any of those.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

----------------------------------------------------------- Nor the loss of Bobby, Martin & John in one decade.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Much as I hate to dispell my liberal image, and I certainly don't condone assassinations, none of those impressed me. John and Bobby were just another pair of crooked politicians who couldn't keep it in their pants. Precursors for Clinton.

Martin was certainly a good spokesman for civil rights, but he was initially talked into participating by a railroad porter. The porters union was a lot more active in civil rights than most realize. When King gave his famous speech, most folks don't even know that he was the second speaker - the head of the porters union (Randolph) was the first. And despite (or maybe because) being a Baptist preacher, he couldn't stay zipped either.

Yes, all three of them did some good, more than most of us will, but they were a long way from being the saints a lot of people make them out to be.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I wonder if Martin Luther King were alive today what he would think of the way the current generation has twisted his words and ideas. I do not think he would have approved of some of the things that are being done today in his name. From reading his speech and books he wanted the Afro Americans to be independent and proud of their race, not wards of the government, and relinquishing their independence for government support.

Today I doubt there is a person alive who realizes it was the Democrats who stood on the school house steps and similar places to keep the Afro-Americans "in the back of the bus".

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

In Alabama the democrat emblem on the ballot was a white rooster with the words "White Supremacy" on a banner around the bird. That has been conveniently forgotten by most.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Reply to
John G

Monkey see, money do. Only, you have about a tenth of the brain power of any monkey.

Reply to
Dave

I'm old enough to remember there were "Democrats" and there were "Southern Democrats" (aka Dixiecrats) and never the twain should meet.

The Tea Party is the (more successful) Republican equivalent :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Obviously a man with no opinion.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Didn't work for Keith (Unisaw A100), won't work for anyone else ...

Reply to
Swingman