Subject Author Posted Replies

"Jake's Chair"?
Some years back, I found information here on building a variant of the Adirondack chair that was then described as a "Jake Chair". The address and ftp site involved seem to have gone dead. Does anyone...
3
3

Newbie router problem - pattern bit appears to be not long enough
So here's the problem. I'm building a router table and have purchased woodpeckers cast aluminum insert plate for it. They are even kind enough to sell me a template to cut the opening. The template is...
5
5

Deodorizing wet wood
My kitchen shelves (which are unfinished, solid wood, more than 40 years old) got wet because of a lead upstairs and now they have a sour type smell. This may come from something in the wood. How can...
5
5

Arrgh! - Almost had a new shop location...
Spotted in the paper last night: GREAT STARTER HOME, 2-story, 3BR, gutted, new roof & sided, fixer- upper located in Red Oak, Iowa, $2,800. It was, of course, sold before I could get through on the...
10
10

FS: 10" Craftsman 10" RAS (cheap)
I need some space back in my garage shop. This is one of the traditional saws with the switch in the front and no digital readout. Runs and cuts great, holds alignment as well as any I've ever had....
5
5

Granite Tops on Steel City Tools
Popular Woodworking has an interesting article on the 2" thick 150lb Granite TS tops that they will be putting on their hybrid TS. No more rust problems but I wonder what other advantages or...
5
5

Walker Turner bandsaw
Is the saw for sale? If so, let's talk.

Wire size for 250' distance to garage?
I am thinking of running underground wiring out to the garage that is 250' from the elec. panel on the house. My question is, what type and size wire to use? My idea was a 220 line to a panel in the...
30
30

Door Hardware - latch & lock
Moved to a new home and having problems trying to find the door hardware. The latch is 60mm from the centre of the square to the inside of the plate. Plate is 55.70mm high x 25.70mm wide The outer...

Porter Cable 557 biscuit joiner
There are a number of 557 Mk III's with a defective part (believe it is the shaft the cutter runs on) that results in the slots being too wide (mine were approx 0.185), Porter Cable knows of this...
3
3

Versatech battery refurbish
I opened one of my Versatech batteries up. It was quite easy and only required cutting the end off after removing the plastic cap. The problem is that it is NOT a sub C but very close. It is a custom...
1
1

stanley #8 jointer plane
I picked up a stanley #8 jointer plane over the weekend. It looks in good shape but the blade needs to be tuned and sharpened. The question is how. I have a slow speed grinder and a tormek. None of...
16
16

Kudos to Chris Schwarz
Chris Schwarz, executive editor of Popular Woodworking and editor of Woodworking Magazine has donated the royalties from his DVDs to the Early American Industries Association's Endowment Fund. Schwarz...

11/32 router bit
Does anybody make a router bit for dadoes to fit 3/8" (nominal) plywood? I've checked: Whiteside Eagle America Infinity CMT Freud MLCS Woodline Rockler Grizzly Woodworker's Supply Price cutter No luck...
29
29

wood for push-pins?
Pardon me for what's probably a silly question. I'm looking for a wood that's easy to stick tacks or push-pins into (by hand), but more substantial than cork or balsa. Any suggestions?
13
13