10" SCMS reccomendations

I'm in the market for a 10" sliding compound miter saw. Reviews on the web tend to favor the Bosch 4410L, then the Makita, then Hitachi and Ridgid. Does anyone out there have comparative exprience, especially with the Bosch and Makita?

I have no local dealer for Bosch; HD carries Makita, and I found I really like the horizontal handle that the other makers have (vs. the vertical handle of the Makita).

This will be mounted to a rolling stand, and used in the shop -- main desired attribute is accuracy and ease of use and adjustment.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

I have read that the Bosch is great at first but the detents get sloppy real quick.

Hitachi always seems to be solid and used by lots of pro's in cabinet shops but not as nice ergonimically as some others.

I was doing some shopping in this area recently but was looking for

12". I found the reviews > I'm in the market for a 10" sliding compound miter saw.
Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

I don't have comparative experience but I've owned a Makita LS1013 for about 10 years. It gets used frequently for everything from framing, siding, cabinetry (including crown molding), etc. It did require a few minor adjustments when it came out of the box but it's remained dead nuts accurate since. The saw has even been dropped twice when it was tipped off a couple of saw horses on a job site. It didn't knock it out of alignment or hurt the saw. Occasionally saw dust will build up in the detent stops, especially when framing with wet pine. Blowing out the base with an air compressor clears the detents.

It's a great saw.

Reply to
Nova

We've got a couple Makita 12" sliders in the shop. The bevel function totally crapped out on one of them. For just plain miters it's good. I used a Bosch on a week-long install and loved it - better than the Makita - but I don't know about longevity. We've got a couple Dewalts too, and they're pretty good. If you keep them clean and tuned and put on a good sharp blade, I think they're all pretty acceptable - Dewalt, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi - and Milwaukee too, although I've never used one. If you can afford it take a look at the new Festool

10" SCMS. Supposed to be great, but man I'd be nervous lugging that thing in and out of the truck and around a jobsite!

If I were buying one today, I'd get the Bosch.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

I have Bosch for something like 2 years. It is a wonderful saw, highly recommend it.

Reply to
Sergey Kubushin

I bought the Bosch 3915 from Amazon for $350 in 2004 after it had been discontinued. Sonoma was correct about the detents getting sloppy after a while. (The detents on the mechanism that slides the blade guard out of the way.)

If I had paid full price, I'd probably be unhappy but the problem is not critical. Just some resistance at the top of the pull. I used masking tape for a while, now I just live with it. It still cuts nice and square. I have to use force to start the pull but not enough to be dangerous. When it's hooked up to the shop vac the dust isn't too bad but there is some. I've got it on a homemade rolling stand with hinged wings.

I'm not completely happy with it because of the detents but it's the most-used tool in my shop. I can say that while the detents got kind of sloppy pretty quick, they never got worse and it doesn't make the saw unusable or less safe.

I had heard that the later models dealt with that detent issue. Can't say. Over the last five years this one has gotten a lot of workouts in many major projects and a lot of "We'll just knock a half inch off this and she'll fit just fine" uses. Pretty dependable. It's the one tool that always gets used in any project. Sliders have stayed adjusted. No slop anywhere except for that detent.

I consider it worth the money but if I'd spent 500 and change on it, I would probably not be so happy. :-)

Reply to
else24