1/4" plywood panels on large rail & stile doors

Page 2 of 2
Leon wrote:

But that's the whole point...if you glue the panel solidly all the way around, then the joint between the rails/stiles becomes essentially cosmetic. All the loads are taken up by the panel itself.
Chris

I don't know about you but I strongly consider cosmetics when wood working. These type doors do not need the strength of the panel holding them together. Rail and stile doors with glass panels typically weigh much more than those with 1/4" panels in them and the glass typically floats in them. Additionally, the entire load is carried by the stile that has the hinges not the panel.
Tom H wrote:

I like 1/4" solid stock in mission doors.