1/4" plywood panels on large rail & stile doors

In both reference, plywood panels wurrounded with solid wood rails and stiles.

Well remember on my glued in place with biscuits 3/4" panel the rails and stiles are butted up against the edge of the 3/4" panel. Wood moves, and when it has a solid stop such as a glued in place panel it normelly moves in the path of least resistance and typically twice as much on that direction. I would not even think of trying to measure that distance on 2" rails and stiles but if you focus on the joint or run a finger over it you can feel that the rail is sometimes obviousely proud of the ends of the stiles. If I had to guess, maybe .008" With the floating panel designs I dont see as much movement in the rail and stile joint.

Correct. The solid wood panel could easily split during seasonal changes.

It really does not affect integrity that much and especially in a controlled environment and the panel is not normally the problem so much as the joint between the rails and stiles.

Reply to
Leon

But that's the whole point...if you glue the panel solidly all the way around, then the joint between the rails/stiles becomes essentially cosmetic. All the loads are taken up by the panel itself.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I don't know about you but I strongly consider cosmetics when wood working. These type doors do not need the strength of the panel holding them together. Rail and stile doors with glass panels typically weigh much more than those with 1/4" panels in them and the glass typically floats in them. Additionally, the entire load is carried by the stile that has the hinges not the panel.

Reply to
Leon