1 3/8th vs 35mm cabinet hinge bit ???

I found 35mm Forstner bits "made" for European cabinet hinges on sale at my local Depot - closeout.
I already have a set of Forstner bits. The 1 3/8th bit comes out to something like 34.90mm.
I am "assuming" there is NO NEED to buy the 35mm bit since the 1 3/8th is so close OR am I missing something ??
TIA
I use the 1 3/8" and the euro style hinges fit just fine. Nice snug fit. I would say don't waste the money for a 35mm since you already have the 1 3/8".
Wayne

On 19 Sep 2004 01:08:05 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com.mado (Conase) wrote:

I have used the 1-3/8 forstner bit for cup hinges. it works fine. I also have a 35mm bit made just for the purpose. it has carbide teeth. for MDF and other such materials the steel cutter would require too many sharpenings to be practical.
snipped-for-privacy@thanks.com wrote in
<snip>

The forstner bit, steel, cut 4 hinge cups in soft maple, and complained as though it were dull.
The carbide 35mm cutter, the blue one from Rockler, has cut maybe 50 or 60, and keeps on going, cleanly, through oak and maple. A much better purchase.
Patriarch
Agreed, although I think it's more that the steel forstner bits have a larger range of quality, and it's difficult to be sure before buying. I have HSS forstners that I've used for years in melamine and hard maple. They hold a good edge, and have the right taper to reduce burning. In either case, best to get from a known company, and Rockler's usually pretty good. GerryG
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 06:02:08 GMT, patriarch

The only reason Euro hinges call for a 35mm bore is because they became a cabinetry standard in Europe long before they became common in the US and Europeans love that silly metric system. The standard frameless euro cabinet is based on the 32mm system and the cabinet industry here has followed for frameless.
But you are correct - that less than three-thousanths of an inch is irrelevant.
-Brian

my
so
I've installed several dozen of these hinges using a 1-3/8" Forstner bit and never had any trouble with the miniscule mis-sizing.