1-3/4" OD guide bushing.

For some reason or another, I cannot find a router guide bushing bigger than the normal 1" or so. I bought some many years ago. Two of them. One was 1-3/4" OD and one was 1-5/8" OD. They are used in conjuction with either a 3/4" or a 5/8" bushing along with a 1/2 bit in order to make inside-outside parts for inlay work. I have a kit for a 1/4" bit from Lee Valley, which achieves the same thing, but doesn't have the utility to be plowing out 1/2" acrylic. For that, I want to use a 1/2" single flute up-spiral. I suppose the option is to have a machinist make me a sleeve that steps up a 3/4 bushing to 1-3/4". But I KNOW the larger ones exists, but just can't find the things anywhere.
HELP??
TIA
Robatoy wrote:
> For some reason or another, I cannot find a router guide bushing bigger > than the normal 1" or so. <snip>
Take a look at tooling hardware manufacturers who supply the tooling industry (Dies, jigs, etc).
They offer things like spherical washers, shoulder screws, crank handles, etc.
There was a company in Cleveland that specialized in making this kind of stuff, but I have been away from it for too long to remember who it was.
Sorry, best I can do.
Lew
Just a guess, but someone probably thought they would protect you from using a bit > 1" dia in freehand-like (non-router table) tasks.

I use 3/4" full bullnose bits, without bearing, freehand. That takes 1-1/2" of solid surface off the front edge of a countertop in one pass. With the 3 1/4 HP Milwaukee at lowest RPM, you want some pretty steady footing. I LAFF at 1" bits!
Hmmm, they sell them that big for shapers. (also called rub collars) I have a whole slew of them. 1/2 inch i.d. I have got some from busy bee and from woodcraft. Beware the cheap ones that can come apart or have a band of metal around them for sizing.
example http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyidA83
Is this the sort of thing you wanted?
John
Robatoy wrote:

Eddie Munster wrote:

Thanks for looking for me, but I'm after one of these with an OD of 1-5/8" or 1-3/4". The threaded part is still the Porter Cable standard, but the OD is wider than the hole.
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid 92
I know where to get one as a part of an installation kit for Counter-Seal solid surface trim rings (for undermounting a sink in a laminate countertop) But I'm not paying $ 200.00 just to get one of those. I now buy the rings already mounted in pc board, so I no longer need that bushing for that job, so I sold the installation kit.
Maybe if I find a ring 1-3/4 OD and 3/4" ID then I'd have the same set-up as the Lee Valley inlay bushing, but more robust.
Okay, now I understand.
Robatoy wrote:

The Visitor wrote:

Good! It's a bit hard to explain. It's kinda like this: http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&pA779&cat=1,43000,51208 (open up that little blue 'instr' thingy, right next to the price. That explains everything.) but I want to use two separate bushings and a 1/2" bit.
I have used the 1/4" set-up before on 1/8th inch solid surface and that worked flawlessly. I made a separate base-plate for the router, and floated the bushing, in an over-sized hole, in epoxy so I ended up with a dead-centre location of the routerbit vs bushing. But because I need to have the bit extend 2 x 1/2" plus the bushing body, a 1/4" bit is just too sloppy.... and scary.
Robatoy wrote:

This is the sort of thing I was wanting to warn you against. I have had them almost come off while running my shaper. Yet they seemed secure enough beforhand..
John