1/2-inch breakers for Crouse-Hinds load center?

I am trying to add a 220v 20a circuit to my 1981 Crouse-Hinds CTL load center. It has (20) 1-inch slots, but has 40 poles and is rated for 40 circuits, using 1/2-inch (tandem) breakers. However, Crouse-Hinds was bought out more than once, and I am having the devil of a time finding possible replacement breakers. I don't really want to replace my panel, so is there a good resource for modern replacement breakers? I can find

1-inch breakers all day, but I need 1/2-inch, as my panel is full of 1-inch breakers.

The sooner I get a new circuit, the sooner I can get my new SawStop 3hp saw!

Reply to
scritch

And he'll then need to make room by putting some of his 120V circuits on the thinner style breakers.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- THQP120 = 1P-20A. THQP230 = 2P-30A

GE C'bkrs.

As mentioned by others, location of the THQP230 is limited in panel to pick up 240V, so you will have to juggle some c'bkr locations to get a full panel.

The THQP230 has a mechanical interlock to prevent incorrect installation in GE panels, not sure about C-H panels.

After installation, check voltage at output of c'bkr.

Have fun.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

LOL I remember the raging argument that incorrect installation was even a possibility when I said that very same thing a few years back.

When we first started installing half height c'brkrs years back placement/voltage was important to check, as it was possible to have a

240 2P pulling off the same leg, to the point that it is something I still check when doing my trim out walk through, impossible or not ... having fielded a call or two from new home owners the first time they went to cook a turkey in that new oven. :)
Reply to
Swingman

scritch wrote in news:k93vhv$hkl$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

A Crouse-Hinds load center is probably compatible with breakers made by: Murray Siemens Westinghouse Cutler-Hammer Bryant General Switch Challenger You can find Siemens at Lowe's, and Cutler-Hammer at ACE Hardware IIRC.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Did a quick qoogle search and some of the CH breakers are obsolete. Doesn't mean they aren't available, they just may be used. Not having the actual breaker designation can't tell you for sure. There are reputable specialty breaker dealers that test before they sell. There are a lot that will fit possibley but listed 1/2 size breaker went thru some listing changes so technically may not be in compliance you have to be sure they are listed for your panel. If the substute is one that's still readily available I woudn't worry to much. I wouldn't use any untested used breaker myself.

Mike M

Reply to
Mike M

Once it has been tested, who is to say it would pass the test again?

Reply to
FrozenNorth

1/2" c'kbrs?

There was a time when only GE offered 1/2" c'kbrs (THQP*** series)

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There is that possibility, but I'd say your odds are better that it will work as designed. There was actually a case here in the NW of counterfeit circuit breakers being manufactured in China and sold as new factory breakers.

Reply to
Mike M