1/16 chamfer in 1/8 material

I need to put a 1/16" chamfer on a piece of 1/8" thick UHMW. It's an irregular profile so I need a bearing to walk around the perimeter. I tried the chamfer bit i have in my router table and the material ran just under the bearing and landed on the dust shield instead. This burned a groove into the side of the plastic. I've looked bits that handle 1/8" material, but haven't found any. Anyone have a source for a bit to handle this, or another way to do this operation. TIA

Reply to
Charlie

is there a bit that can be used in a dremel that would work?

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I've seen a tool for making chamfers on the edge of formica countertops, works like a small plane & shaves off the excess material. Would that work for what you're doing?

Dave "Wow, the wreck has changed a bit in a few years..." Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

clamp a strit edge or board to the bottom of it and use the bit you have. the bearing will ride on the strait edge board.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

sorry i didnt read too good i guess. cut a board of the same profile and clamp it to the bottom of the plastic to use as a guide.

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

If it doesn't need to be an accurate chamfer, you could use a deburrer (e.g.,

Berkson

Reply to
Mitch Berkson

How about a file, hand plane, spoke shave, or sanding block?

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

look at solid carbide laminate trimmer bits

Reply to
bridger

I think I would just hit the edge with a piece of sand paper.

Reply to
Leon

Did you read the pat about irregular profile?

Reply to
CW

Fasten to a piece of mdf, then using a pattern bit to bring the mdf to match the plastic.

Now turn it over and use the bearing against the mdf

John

Reply to
John Crea

yeh but it didnt sink in right away.:-} did you read my second followup post????

skeez

Reply to
skeezics

Yes, and saw that you caught it. Now, if I could just get that spelling thing down. :)

Reply to
CW