1-1/4" spindle for 1956 Delta HD shaper?

I have an 1950's Rockwell "Heavy-Duty Shaper". Most of the cutters I want to use are only available with 1-1/4" bore. I've called Delta to purchase a 1-1/4" spindle, but they say I can only put either a 1/2" or 3/4" spindle on this shaper.

The new 5HP version of this shaper does come with a 1-1/4" spindle, and from what I've been able to tell from the manuals and parts lists, the old one and the current models are basically the same machine. So the only reasons I can think of that I really couldn't use a 1-1/4" spindle are that the machine doesn't have enough power, or that there has been some mechanical change--different taper, etc.

Does anyone know for sure what the differences are between the older shapers and the new version that will take the 1-1/4" spindle? Can I just buy the larger spindle, or would I also need to replace the "spindle cartridge"?

Thanks, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts

Heath, You do not need a 1-1/4" spindle to use the knives you want Use the 3/4 spindle if that is the largest and use bushings for your knives. If your adddress is good I will e-mail you what i am talking about if not I will post it back here or e-mail me with your proper address

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

I have an old DELTA single speed shaper from the 40's/50's .. .. from the era when the "DELTA" lettering was kind of an ART DECO font. Bought it from a friend and it came with only a 1/2" spindle that was kinda twisted a bit. I removed the entire "cartridge" from the table and had both a

3/4" and a 1-1/4 sp> I have an 1950's Rockwell "Heavy-Duty Shaper". Most of the cutters I

-- I AM NOT PARANOID .. .. .. but EVERYONE thinks I am !! !! !!

Reply to
Anonymous

If it is the shaper that I am thinking of there is very little difference. But the new one can be ordered as standard, taking a 1/2" or 3/4" spindle or ordered with a noninterchangeable 1 1/4" spindle. That is probably why you could not get a 1 1/4" spindle...that would require the whole carridge.

Reply to
Jon Dough