1 1/4" Oak Closet Rod Dowel Over 4 ft.?

I am in the middle of a home improvement (?) project. It am going to replace the existing dark walnut stained pine clowels with oak. I have some closets with rods over 5' in length supported on each end and with a single center support. I can't find oak longer than 4' in the 1 1/4" diameter. Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?
Thank you!
Bill

Try smart & final in the cleaning supply section,you will be suprized. 1 1/4" hardwood dowels with about 5'2" usable after cutting off the tapered end and the best part is the price less than $4 ea.
I don't understand smart and final. Is that a cleaning supply company in California? I live in the Midwest. I'd never heard of them until I just did a search in Google. Or, is it a long handle on some product?
Bill

Sort of a small version of Costco/Price club..
Good point, though... sometimes lumber is cheaper if it isn't called lumber...lol
I couldn't find hardwood dowels here in Mexico but found some great brooms in a local hardware store that were about $5 each and had 5' hardwood handles a bit over 1" in diameter... made great towel rods in the guest bath..
Is your center support the metal band type of wood? I'm thinking that if you had to, you could use a wood support and join 2 shorter dowels there?

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
"Sam Fertel" wrote:

Yes.
> Does anyone know of a source for 5' or 6' oak dowels?
My guess is that 5ft wooden closet rods will bend and fail miserably in service.
Think 1" black iron pipe for this application.
Lew
On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 09:36:42 -0700, "Lew Hodgett"

1 1/4 or 1 1/2 EMT (electrical conduit) works great too. Kenneth

If you have a 7/8 radius round over bit for your router you can make your own out of what ever wood you like.

OOPS! Make that a 5/8" round over bit.

If you don't have to have wood, chain link top-rail will work and still fit in the closet rod sockets. It comes in 10'6" or 21' lengths and we cut it with a metal cutting blade in a sawsall. It's fairly cheap at about $8 for a 10'6 piece. The BORGs will have it or about any lumber yard. Almost every builder we work for wants us to use the stuff.
Mike O.
Sam Fertel wrote:

What tools do you have to work with? If you've got a table saw it's not hard to make octagonal rods, if you have a router table and a 5/8" roundover bit then you can easily make them round. For stock if you have a hardwood supplier have them plane to 1-1/4 plus a sanding allowance, if you don't then get a couple of "1 inch" boards from the Borg and glue them up to get the thickness--mount it with the bondline vertical and nobody will notice that it's a glue-up unless they're looking hard for it.
--John

Make the center support solid and bolt cups to either side opposite each other. Make up your 6 foot rods from two 3 foot rods.