0000 steel wool = what grade sandpaper?

What grade sandpaper does 0000 steel wool equal? Is there any advantage which would indicate whether to use steel wool or the equivalent sandpaper between coats of finish? For instance, if 0000 has the same abrasion as say 220, what factor(s) would determine which would be better for a particular finish?

Gerry

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.

out the chart: it says 400-600 grit. I would have guessed it was a bit higher--stupid me! :)

Avoid using steel wool between coats of water based products (water borne lacquers, polys, and YES, there is a WB shellac!)

David

G.E.R.R.Y. wrote:

Reply to
David

But does it give the same finish? I never thought of them being interchangeable. When is one more appropriate than the other.

Aside from using SOS pads to clean whitewalls, I'm not knowledgeable about using steel wool. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Definitely _not_ the same. Particle shape is very different. Never had to have SWMBO take pieces of 400 grit out of my fingers with tweezers.

I suppose comparisons are a "scratch no worse than" proposition.

Reply to
George

IIRC most the finishes indicate using 0000 steel wool between coats with the exception of gel varnishes. Many finishing waxes indicate applying with steel wool.

Reply to
Leon

absolutely not! I'm partial to the use of pads after the last coat has cured. I wouldn't use fine grit sandpaper to obtain the final sheen. I stop at either gray or white pads.

Sandpaper is appropriate for pre finishing and inter coat sanding. I avoid steel wool due to my use of WB finishes.

David

David

Reply to
David

I have used wet or dry sandpaper with mineral spirits or water to wet sand my final coat. The results are great!

Grant

David wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles

Grant, I wasn't saying that sandpaper shouldn't be used. What I meant by "absolutely not" is that the results are different that using pads. I didn't mean that one process is "inferior" to the other.

David

Grant P. Beagles wrote:

Reply to
David

I usually use steel wool, with a lubricant, to rub a gloss finish down to a lower sheen, and to apply wax..

Many people don't know the proper way to use steel wool, with the fibers held perpendicular to the stroke. There actually is a "grain" to the stuff.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

good point, Barry.

David

B a r r y wrote:

Reply to
David

Agreed! Steel wool takes a sheen down nicely. When I was wet sanding, I was looking for more gloss (but not the plastic look!).

Grant

David wrote:

Reply to
Grant P. Beagles