Zones around a shower cubicle

Does anyone know exactly how the zones are defined for a shower cubicle.

I have 1200 x 700 shower base closed on three sides, where half of the

1200 opening will have a fixed panel and the other half is a sliding door.

I want to fit a fixed wall fan heater just within 0.6m of the fixed panel.

Is this area classed as Zone 2 or Zone 3?

I think the panel will be about 1900 high - though I think I can close it off to the ceiling if necessary.

Thanks.

Reply to
Les Desser

Is there a fan heater rated for Zone 3 ?

Reply to
Mike

In article , Mike Sat, 14 May 2005 23:54:36 writes

It is my understanding that any *fixed* appliance may be in zone 3.

If you meant zone 2, then I am not aware of any - it would need an IPX4 rating.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , Les Desser Sun, 15 May 2005 00:32:54 writes

Some Google hunting has in fact turned up Dimplex models which are so rated. So that may be the simplest route to take - unless I can get a definitive answer to my question.

Reply to
Les Desser

I don't think so. I wouldn't expect any item with a direct switch rather than a pullcord to be allowed in the same way that light switches aren't allowed.

Reply to
Mike

Although not often seen, light switches are allowed in zone 3 and beyond. Fixed appliances are also allowed so long as they are protected by a 30mA RCD. (no requirement for RCD protection if outside Zone 3).

Reply to
John Rumm

The Niceic have a document giving all the information you need about electrics and bathrooms.

Paul Worsley

In article , Paul Worsley Sun, 15 May 2005 09:42:33 writes

It shows on the last two pages that Zone 2 extends round a fixed partition for 0.6m with the thickness of the partition included in the .6

In my case this would OK to put a fan heater where I want to - as long as I extend the partition till the ceiling.

As I have found a Dimplex IPX4 rated fan heater for about the same price as a normal one, I will probably go down that route and put it into what is technically zone 2.

Reply to
Les Desser

Can you give a pointer? I have a 20 year old Dimplex fan heater in the bathroom, and I keep thinking it can't last much longer.

The switch burned out after about 6 months, but I cleaned it up and made it operate the heater indirectly via a contactor which fitted neatly in the space intended for a shaver isolating transformer or light on upmarket models which mine didn't have. It's been fine ever since, but has had lots of use. The contactor is also triggered by a frost-stat, but that predated the central heating and could probably now be disconnected.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Dimplex

(slightly cheaper)

Owain

In article , Andrew Gabriel Sun, 15 May 2005 11:28:56 writes

They have a similar model with a count-down-timer for about £10 more - very useful if you forget to switch it off.

Reply to
Les Desser

In article , Owain Sun, 15 May 2005 14:14:07 writes

In fact the technical spec shows the fan only in Zone 3.

Reply to
Les Desser