Zircon stud detectors in the UK

Hi All,

I've been looking into stud detectors a fair bit - no point buying something that doesn't work, and stud detecting seems to be more hit-and-miss than most. The only brand I've found consistently recommended is Zircon, but it's a US brand and I can't find it anywhere in the UK.

Does anyone know where I can get one (wood/metal stud, pipe and AC mains)?

Thanks!

Damian

Reply to
dskeeles

I spoke too soon; I heard it was on the RS site, but looked for it on the US, not UK, one.

It's on the UK RS site (rswww.com), product 493-3370, at a slightly painful =A339.90 + p&p.

Damian

Reply to
dskeeles

I'm available. ;-)

How does it detect a piece of wood?

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I spoke too soon; I heard it was on the RS site, but looked for it on the US, not UK, one.

It's on the UK RS site (rswww.com), product 493-3370, at a slightly painful £39.90 + p&p.

A simple Google search found this

many other references. Google is your friend!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

B&Q are selling this one (it's packaged as their own brand though) for about =A315.

's been quite impressive so far.

Reply to
cucumber

You sure it's a Zircon? There's no doubt that they are the mutt's nuts of detectors and having tried two utterly useless cheapo versions, I want one!

This one sounds exceedingly cheap for a Zircon - it wouldn't be just dressed up to look like the real McCoy by any chance?

David

Reply to
Lobster

The plain stud detector is around £15 from the souce I quoted. The £25 one does pipes and elcetrics as well. Plus VAt and shipping.

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

I've checked the patent numbers on the back of it and they seem to refer to the Zircon products.

Thing is they've not tried to sell it as a Zircon, it's in a cheapo looking B&Q packaging but the unit itself is identical to the one on the Zircon site and seems to work really well.

Reply to
cucumber

I had a Rapitest pipe and live wire detector and it wasn't all that consistent before it finally went crazy and got binned after a few months.

I'm looking for a decent pipe and live wire detector now so if anyone can recommend one....

Reply to
cucumber

Yep, I've seen these too - I copied the image of the Zircon version to my phone so I can compare them next time I'm in my local B&Q, but it does look very similar. I think they even give it a similar name... the "Triscanner SL" from memory????

Reply to
dskeeles

That is not a Zircon one though is it?

Reply to
John Rumm

and are IME a complete waste fo time - especially for stud detection. The only ones I have found so far that do "what it says on the tin" are the Zircon ones.

(and even the Zircon can't hack foil backed plasterboard or foiled PIR foam).

Reply to
John Rumm

It may well be the "real thing".. I have noticed that B&Q sometimes badge engineer some quite decent brands of kit.

(I bought a B&Q version of a flymo garden vac once - half the price, green rather than orange, and yet the service leaflet still have the flymo address on it)

Reply to
John Rumm

No, the Rapitest things are a piece of junk.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I understood it was! However, I can make a mistake like anyone else.

IS Zircon!

Peter Crosland

Reply to
Peter Crosland

That's irrelevant, unless B&Q want to have the arse sued off them by some US lawyer they wil have to quote the Zircon patent number. It could be made anywhere, by anyone, under license. Just using someones technology is not a guarantee of product quality.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Yup that is more like it, in fact that is the one I use... ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

So how to tell for sure whether this is the real McCoy or not? If it is, I'll buy one tomorrow, but if not - no way!

David

Reply to
Lobster