Zanussi WJD 1257 drain pump

I've got a five month old Zanussi WJD 1257 washer-drier, and have two questions that I hope someone in the trade might be able to help me with.

Firstly, is there any history of recurring problems with the drain pumps? The pump on ours locks up occasionally, resulting in a gentle hum until Error code 20 appears on the display. On the first call-out, the technician dismantled the pump, thought he had cleared some fluff or other obstacle from it, and proudly pronounced it working.

Within a few days it had 'stuck' again and I managed to get it going by sucking and blowing on the drain hose (with water still in the machine). Then it stuck again, so I resorted to completely dismantling the pump and motor and could find nothing wrong. On reassembly, everything was OK for a week or two. However, it then stuck again, so I called the repair hotline again and in the meantime got it going again with the succky blowwy trick. When the technician turned up, he disappointingly said that as it was working there was nothing he could do, examined the error codes on the machine, ran a few test cycles, and pronounced that there was no way I could have got it working with the succky blowwy trick and that it must have been blocked.

My concern is that there may be an inherent design fault with the pump which means that *I* will have to keep shelling out for pumps every six months or so once the guarantee period expires.

Secondly, can anyone tell me what buttons to press to access the 'hidden' error codes (presumably the numbers between 10, 20 etc that aren't actually displayed but give greater info on the problem) with a list of what they mean.

Sorry it's a bit long winded, but the last Zanussi WDT 1085 washer-drier we had gave excellent service until the timer knob shaft broke after six years of *VERY* hard graft.

PS I've still got the motor, valves, pumps, door, drum etc, etc (almost everything except the timer and steel case) if anyone is interested in making an offer :)

Reply to
Tony

The law changed in April this year IIRC where if something fails within the first 6 months it is assumed that it was faulty from new unless the shop can prove otherwise. You may be in a strong legal position to reject the item as faulty and get a refund.

Check in uk.legal !

Reply to
Colin Wilson

In article , Tony writes

I've just scrapped a WDT1081 on which the drier part stopped working after a couple of years. Zanussi refused to entertain a warranty or goodwill claim, so I bought a cheap tumbler and continued to use the washer for another 10 years. When this eventually failed earlier this year (timer stuck at random intervals in the wash cycle and had to be manually "clicked on" to continue) I replaced it with a new machine, not a Zanussi.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Reply to
Egbert Nobacon

Is there something I should know about buying Zanussi washer-driers from Currys??

Reply to
Tony

Hmmm. Thanks for reminding me about that.

I think my legal position would be strengthened if I could show some evidence that a lot of these pumps are going faulty.

However, I'm actually a happy Zanussi customer, so if I can just get it replaced, and have some confidence that it's not going to be a recurring problem, then I will just accept it as unfortunate but 'one of those things'.

Reply to
Tony

Nothing different to buying anything else from Currys.

Don't.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Reply to
Egbert Nobacon

I get a Service Force technician all right (08705 929929) , I'm just not getting any benefit from them.

That's what I asked to be done last time, but as I'd got it going again, the Tech thought he knew better, told my wife that getting the pump going by blowing/sucking was an impossibility, wrote out a ticket stating 'No fault found' and buggered off again.

Well, I'll be seeing him again shortly as the pump has stalled yet again.

Reply to
Tony