zanussi washing machine - battery fallen down soap chute

Hi. My baby has managed to push a AA battery down the soap chute of my brand new Zanussi washing machine (1200 spin, front loader, basic model). I have tried removing the soap drawer, but beyond this I haven't got any idea. I could call a repairman, but for something as basic as this, it seems like a real waste of money.
What's the best way to get to the battery - where will I find it, and what screws should I open to get to it?

When you say you tried to remove the soap drawer, I assume you did remove it? In our Zanussi when you take the soap drawer out, the exit for the soap is at right angles to the drawer and is only about the size of an AA battery and would be virtually impossible for the battery to go down. Plus did you see it go down? Reminds me of a trip to casualty when our 4 yr old said the 2 yr old had put a large hair clip in her mouth and then "did this mummy *cough, choke splutter* ", graphic rolling around clutching throat, "and when she opened her mouth it was gone". One very long wait in A&E and 2 x-rays later - no clip. Found a slabbery clip in her sock drawer that night where, when she had haked it back up, it had shot into.

We got the drawer out: behind it is a pipe plenty big enough for a C battery (let alone AA) to get down. I stuck a palette knife in it: it appears to twist around in a bit of a loop. We turned the machine upside down to try and get it to go back the way it came - no sign of it.
I am very tempted to turn the machine on to see what happens (where does the soap pipe go to?), but at risk of causing a lot of damage I haven't done.
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 15:22:22 UTC, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Matthew) wrote:

I would suspect it has dropped into the tub (the water containing cylinder that the drum runs in). You could see how much spec there is between the front rim of the drum and the edge of the tub; tilt the machine forwartd and see if thebattery slides to the front. Failing that, you need to open the tub. Don';t know how it works on the Zanussi; on my Hotpoint it's about a dozen metal clips and that's it.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Two thoughts. 1) Remove the front door rubber seal and then look. 2) Can it fall into the outlet pump, in which case removing the pump inlet hose may give you a chance? Regards Capitol
On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 23:00:25 UTC, "Capitol"
I thought of that, but it merely exposes the gap between the tub and the casing, not the tub and the drum?
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
Bob Eager wrote:

Is there a coin/pin trap on your machine? On my Asko we began getting continuous "over sudsing" warnings and when I opened up the trap there was several dollars worth of change and some small pebbles in there! Now I open it every couple months to check.

Eek, has it got into the drum, or do you think its lodged "up top" somewhere still ?

magnet & string
"Chris Oates" <none> wrote in message

At least at the end of this all it will be a source of clean energy.....
Nick

Until reality (rust) sets in to tarnish the results ;-)

Does the internal drum have a lift out section, which might be held in place by pop rivets, between two of the paddles ? If it does, then drill the rivets out and put your hand in, after making sure the power is off, and grab the battery. Then you'll need to rivet the panel back in with a cheap pop rivet gun from you local B&Q.