Zanussi motor testing question

I have a Zanussi 1200 washer/dryer where the motor has stopped turning the drum altogether. I have already:

1 - replaced the brushes (thought this was the problem but no luck) 2 - put a meter across the armeture with the power on and whatched the voltage vary up and down

Question:

1 - how do I test the field windings - any idea of pin outs or test I should do with a meter etc 2 - how do I test the tacho (which I am assuming is the device attached to the end of the shaft) 3 - how do I proove its the PCB and if so any test worth doing prior to replacement

Francis

Reply to
fclauson

WM motors typically have 6 wires, 2 for tacho, 2 for field and 2 for armature. So its not hard to see if theyre getting the juice or not, and if the field/arm resistances are reasonable. These will tell you whether its motor or something else.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I had a similar problem during the summer with a bosch washer dryer and spent days and days checking for blockages, replaced bushes, soldered bits of wire to the motor connections to test it in situe with a meter etc. Eventually checked the PCB and could see burn marks around the terminal leading to the motor. I ordered a new one, which was just over =A3200 (that's Bosch for you), and replaced it. On restart the drum did start turning (which it wasn't before) but stopped after about 30 seconds, and would keep stopping at the same point each time I restarted it. So it looks as if the PCB was only part of the problem, but when it's 'blown' it's taken something else out with it at the same time, could be the timer (=A3200), could be the motor (=A3200), could be both, could be any thing. I did get a local engineer out after this, but basically they just don't have the equipment to test each part of all the different makes and models. So if you don't want to make the same mistake as myself, I'd either call a Zanussi engineer out to find out exactly which parts need replacing, or better still I'd personally just replace the washing machine, I think this would work out cheaper in the long run. I ended up buying a new machine for just over =A3200, which is the same price I paid for the replacement PCB that is just sitting boxed on a shelf in the garage.

Hope this gives you something to think about at least.

Reply to
Richard

To help avoid this, OP should slowly move the motor round when R testing the armature. This will sometimes find an armature short, but not always.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

If it has 8, then the extra 2 are an additional field winding used only for the top spin speed (at least on Hotpoint's).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel