Zanissi freezer not too cool!

Hi folks,

We have a Zanussi freezer about 20 years old - never any problem until now. It just isn't freezing - still very cold (colder than the fridge) but not nearly as cold as it should be. Is this the end of it's useful life or can anything be done to bring it back to life? I can still hear the motor running (fairly quietly) - it's been like this for about a couple of weeks and doesn't seem to be getting better or worse. White goods engineers around here charge something like £75 just to turn up - then time on job. If it's likely to be terminal then it may not be worth fixing it at current new prices. Anybody here knowledgeable in these things here?

Cheers, Neil

Reply to
Neil

Is it a Fridge / Freezer then?

Is it conventional - or an early "Frost Free"

Reply to
John

John - it's a separate freezer - upright under worktop. We don't have the manual for it and I can't even find a model number on it, but I don't think it was a frost free as it used to gather frost around all sides (until defrosted). Now the only frost I can see is on the roof.

Reply to
Neil

This covers the concepts, a standalone conventional freezer is much like a fridge on this point

short, if the compressor runs continuously then likely its lost coolant, and isnt worth fixing unles its something quite special. If it switches off at times it may be a thermostat problem.

NT

Reply to
NT

This covers the concepts, a standalone conventional freezer is much like a fridge on this point

short, if the compressor runs continuously then likely its lost coolant, and isnt worth fixing unles its something quite special. If it switches off at times it may be a thermostat problem.

Yea that sounds like it. Seems like it's got to be a new freezer then :(

Reply to
Neil

Well, I wouldnt be too unhappy about it, the new one will eat far less energy than the old did, and that'll add up well over its years of service.

NT

Reply to
NT

point

>>> In short, if the compressor runs continuously then likely its lost

Especially if you don't buy a frost free freezer.

Reply to
Mark