Yuk - maggots in the bin

Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying every fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm...

Gross little bastards. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40.

Didn't help that someone left a bag poking out so the lid did not close and the bastard flies got in. But can't control everyone's actions all the time :(

I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must be some plate scrapings attracting the buggers. But we also have guests so of course the bin's full.

Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to be...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Maggots have a bad name.

Did your bin have a bad smell? If so don't blame the maggots. Maggots fed on bran do not have a bad smell.

Reply to
ARW

Absolutely true. Maggots every week, even with bleach, boiling water and double bagging. The fact that the last two climate change (i.e. green lobby) advisors have had to stand down due to conflict of interest is neither here nor there. No r the fact that SamCam's dad makes a grand a day from 'green' subsidies be of any concern and that we should consider that it is a total money making scam.

Still, we'll be in Syria soon, doing the money lender's work, changing their State owned central bank into a private central bank, so that they can fiscally tax the citizens of that country. Just like we did with Libya.

Reply to
Road_Hog

I heartily agree, two weeks in summer is not often enough. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Try a large barbecue. Flies don't seem too atracted to things that are black & crunchy, an added bonus is that you would have room for more guests if you pack em down a bit.

AB

Reply to
Archibald

Does your council not do a weekly food waste collection? If not, why not ask them.

The letters page of the local free paper is always a good place to start moaning about bin services.

Reply to
mogga

e: >Thanks to the modern idea that our half sized bin only needs emptying e very >fortnight I now have a full on maggot farm... > >Gross little bastard s. Just gave the bin top and lid a spray with strong >bleach - not the best but all I could find at 22:40. > >Didn't help that someone left a bag poki ng out so the lid did not close and >the bastard flies got in. But can't co ntrol everyone's actions all the time >:( > >I feel sorry for the binmen... Yes we recycle and we compost peelings. Must >be some plate scrapings attr acting the buggers. But we also have guests so >of course the bin's full. > >Ah the joys of driving in reverse from the once civilised country we used to >be... Try a large barbecue. Flies don't seem too atracted to things th at are black & crunchy, an added bonus is that you would have room for more guests if you pack em down a bit. AB

I tried packing our guests down a bit to get more in, but they complained. !:*^>))

Reply to
cpvh

I notice public bins are normally emptied daily. In this weather that's where the odd disposable nappy we get lumbered with goes

Reply to
stuart noble

Round here they wrote to everyone saying too many people had two grey (general waste) bins. You could keep both if you met the requirements. I don't think anyone has.

Reply to
mogga

Plus Eric Pickles has offered to give councils the extra funding to have weekly collections and virtually every council says no, we're not interested.

Reply to
Road_Hog

Our council has a rather disgusting (to my mind) system where food waste (c ooked only, uncooked such as peelings, cores, egg shells etc go in the comp ost bin) goes in a small container inside, transferred to a slightly larger (think mop bucket sized) bin when the inside one is full, and this is coll ected weekly. Other general rubbish is fortnightly, with paper / card / te tra packs / tins / cans / etc also collected weekly.

To be honest, the food waste our family of 6 generates is usually sufficien t to about 1/8 to 1/4 fill the outside "mop bucket" sized food recycling bi n, and it only gets transferred to outside on the day of collection, so no maggots for us.

I don't like the idea of a food waste only container in the house, but it d oes seem to work OK.

Matt

Reply to
larkim

probably because the "extra funding" would not cover the costs involved.

Reply to
charles

Birmingham did. Although they (rather cunningly) have linked taking the cash with introducing wheelie bins. Finally. There's something 3rd world about seeing ripped open bin bags everywhere.

I was amused to see on their FAQ about wheelie bins a "question" saying "The system we have already is working, so why change ?". As if anyone in their right mind would think rubbish strewn over the roads is working.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

its is working - if you asked an urban fox.

Reply to
charles

Birds get to the bags first ...

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Yep, those crows are very efficient emptiers of bins. Then the local yobs get the blame. Shame

Reply to
stuart noble

We compost the stuff that can be, so fairly small amounts of food need to be thrown out - the birds will eat various bits. The food waste gets wrapped in paper and put straight out in the bigger food bin - the small one is only used if it's too rainy tba going outside.

Reply to
mogga

They're in the bin. You're not planning on retrieving anything from the bin to eat (I hope), so why does it matter?

They actually eat the stuff that generates the smell, thereby reducing the smell from the bin.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

You didn't barbecue 'em properly!

You after salmonella or something?

AB

Reply to
Archibald

On Friday 30 August 2013 21:40 Andrew Gabriel wrote in uk.d-i-y:

err - because it's gross and they are all over the lid and rim when I open it...

Reply to
Tim Watts