'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?"

Notice that he is writing in the future tense, in an article written 12 years ago. The accurate and informed report from the Playhouse themselves makes clear that no problems have in fact been experienced.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Next para in the Guardian article.

"To combat the risk, a sun screen 7.5m long and 4.5m high is be erected on the Playhouse roof, and measurements will taken through the year to plot the sun's movements. Once the problem has been assessed, a less obtrusive retractable screen will be installed above the main entrance, to avoid detracting from the sculpture."

Which implies that problems haven't been experienced because measures were taken to mitigate them.

Reply to
Bill Taylor

How do you know that the Playhouse article is either informed or accurate, it is a PR piece.

I'm inclined to trust the calculations of the consultant employed to analyse the risk, his quoted statement is that the risk occurs during a short window in time and only on certain dates. During that time there needs to be a worst case combination of circumstances for a problem to manifest itself and so far it appears that there has not been a catastrophic occurrence. During that time I wonder if anyone has noticed that the paint of the window frames of the bar doesn't seem to last very long or that the blinds or curtains seem badly faded but no-one has linked cause and effect.

Hopefully they wont be reminded of the potential problem between 6 & 8am on some particularly bright midsummer day when a paper ornament, display or sign in the bar goes up in smoke, setting the building on fire.

Just expressing an alternative view.

Reply to
fred

ISTR the buildings were designed to look like the old Sperry [Univac] logo.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

On

Remind me not to fly Virgin when the moon is in Aquarius and Venus aligns with Mars.

Shhesh.Its OK if a building only catches fire every alternate Thursday, a nuclear power station only blows up on Sunday 5th of August? My operating system will only crash on the third Monday of every month?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , fred escribió:

So a carpet in a shop within the focus of the concentrated beam burning up almost to the point of catching fire isn't catastrophic? Idiot.

What's more disturbing is that the architect, Rafael Viñoly, had similar problems with another building he designed 3 years ago (the Vdara hotel in Las Vegas). Seems he doesn't learn from his mistakes.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

or perhaps he does.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In article , Mike Tomlinson writes

If you had bothered to read all of the thread you may have realised that this branch is discussing an entirely different installation of a parabolic mirrored artwork made some 12 years ago at the Nottingham Playhouse. I have been countering the previous poster's suggestion that the absence of a serious incident in those 12 years indicated that it was safe.

I was agreeing with the expert consultant employed by the theatre who cautioned that the mirror could represent a major fire hazard and was suggesting that they had merely been lucky that the exact combination of circumstances required to cause a catastrophic incident had not yet occurred but I don't suppose you bothered to read either of the linked articles to gain some context before you spouted forth.

Perhaps when you have sobered up or otherwise come to your senses you may wish to revise your hasty comments?

Reply to
fred

No need for blinds just wrap it in tyvek

Reply to
The Other Mike

And then it would be an art installtion.

Reply to
Bob Eager

You do know the reflectivity of tyvek? (I don't know if you are just being funny.)

Reply to
dennis

Just use the target area for solar powered charging stations for electric cars. Job done.

Reply to
Graham.

Do Jaguar make any solar powered cars? Yet?

Reply to
polygonum

On the Golden Mile, Brentford - the only trace I can find of what used to be there is the map on this page

And on maps.google it's now a small housing development.

Directly opposite there is a pair of curved buildings - are those the ones you mean? The Sperry building is long gone and the curved building was put up by Samsung, according to that.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

This one? url:

Grimly Curmudgeon

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

It shows on the satellite view on Google Maps just south of the junction of the A406 North Circular Road with the A404 Harrow Road-Brentfield

Reply to
Chris Holford

In article , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

No;about 2 or 3 miles to the NNE of the building your reference points to.

Reply to
Chris Holford

Aha! Nowhere near where I was looking...

Bob Eager

Ah yes - between the A404 and the Bakerloo line. I had been wondering about it, too, since the original URL landed on the Hanger Lane Gyratory, and I didn't broaden my search wuite enough.

Reply to
docholliday93