'your car's bucked, could you give us a call?"

"bucked"?

Never heard that one:-)

Reply to
ARW

It was a typo. Replace "b" with "f". HTH.

Reply to
Mr Pounder

It says buckled now, did they change it?!?

Reply to
Toby

I wonder if the original architect plans were submitted to an optical expert who would be able to predict that an efficient solar furnace was being constructed?

On a different "note" we have a building near here that hums a B natural on windy days, I don't think it has caused anybody or anything any actual harm though

Reply to
Graham.

Yes. The use of the Print Screen button and the use of John Rumms webspace is the proof.

I prefer Pounders change of letters to the word:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARW

Must have done. It said "bucked" when I read the story earlier this afternoon, I remember thinking "what polite builders". B-)

As for the design, it's a concave surface it *will* focus the light/heat. Might not focus it very well but something that size doesn't need to to produce a "hot spot" hot enough to melt plastic.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Buckled.

Reply to
Steve Firth

One of Arthur C Clarke's "Tales from the White Hart" covers the same ground. Programmes with a reflective cover issued to supporters at a cup final. Supporters try to dazzle the ref reflecting the sun into his eyes using the programmes. Ref explodes in greasy puff of smoke.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Reply to
fred

Can see the whole thing being pulled down as a fire hazard.

Reply to
The Other Mike

On Tuesday 03 September 2013 12:29 The Other Mike wrote in uk.d-i-y:

I can see Pilkington getting very excited about devloping a new non reflective coating as a custom job and selling f*ck knows how many 100's m2 of glass!

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or of course there's the Mythbusters presidential special: "Archimedes death ray" which turned out to be a crock ....

and

Jethro_uk

I was impressed by the driver's self restraint in his response - 'crickey'. Not sure that would have been the phrase I'd have used if it was my new Jag....

Reply to
GMM

They already exist, on camera lenses, etc.

Now does anyone have a vacuum chamber big enough?

They can just fit external blinds on the bits that matter.

Reply to
dennis

In article , ARW writes

A building which intrigued me was the Sperry building on London's North Circular Road a little way before you get to the Hanger Lane gyratory system a from the east.

The two blocks are curved with the convex sides facing each other. In plan view it looks like a venturi; -and it is aligned a little south of west, so prevailing winds would blow straight through the venturi.

I always imagined that they must have problems with window panes being 'sucked' out......or was the deliberately done to provide ventilation?

Reply to
Chris Holford

There was a funny story a few years ago - someone made a giant parabolic stainless steel dish in the name of art (lottery funded IIRC). Someone else worked out that it could instantly incinerate seagulls which happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. More money needed to be spent on a tent-like covering.

Sorry I can't find it by googling. Definitely under the dear leader Blair's time like many other lottery funded ideas. (Not that I've ever played the lottery).

Reply to
Part Timer

Good excuse to not wash the windows until winter.

That'll save a few bob - maybe enough to pay out on a few damage claims.

Question: If you reckoned that their building had damaged your car, how could you prove it?

I'm assuming that the building owners would shift claims off onto their insurers (after the headlines die down a bit) and insurance companies aren't going to pay up without "proof".

Reply to
Sam Plusnet

Going by the TV reports, there is no shortage of proof. Just download the TV News bulletin!

Reply to
Davey

Nottingham Sky Mirror

Typical contemporary comment:

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Countered with some real facts by the astronomer quoted in the article below:

" . . . during the risk period, the sun's rays would be concentrated into a funnel shape projected upwards towards the theatre bar. Several inches wide and stretching for six metres, the beam would be as hot as

40 single-bar electric fires."

Reply to
fred