You CAN paste wallpaper to unsanded glass.

Remember me asking a few months ago whether it was possible to paste wallpaper to glass without sanding the glass? (I didn't want to sand the glass, in case a future owner of the house might like to remove the paper.)

Well, the answer is YOU CAN!

You may recall I had a wall of sliding doors with mirrors in them and I wanted to hide the mirrors in the panels with a suitable design of wallpaper. The wallpaper with the most suitable design on it turned out to be a vinyl one. The worry was that the moisture of the paste would have nowhere through which to dry and evaporate - vinyl on one side and glass on the other.

Well, what I did was mix a very strong and thick quantity of ordinary wallpaper paste. I gave this a good beating until it turned clear. Then I used a hard brush to drive it as much as I could into the papery back of the vinyl wallpaper. And then I attached the wallpaper to the glass panels and rubbed each sheet hard with a cloth to drive out excess paste and any bubbles of air.

Three months later the vinyl paper is still perfectly in position, with no curling or anything at the edges.

So there we are. Can't explain it, but it turned out to be easy to do.

I have been tempted to try and lift a corner just to test how well it has stuck, but I have resisted!

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

Oh go on! You really want to know if it's dried, don't you?

Reply to
PeterC

My money is on the paper being held by suction of the wet paste :-))

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Guys, you're not gonna tempt me! If after THREE months the paste is still wet so be it . . . as long as it stays lookin' good.

Eddy.

Reply to
Eddy

If it were still wet I'd expect the paper to have turned black from mould by now. It probably slowly evaporated through the vinyl, which wont be a perfect vapour barrier.

NT

Reply to
NT