You are 2nd year apprentice - what would you do?

I've always suspected that the origin of the long-winded Japanese tea ceremony is ensuring that the boiled water cools to the right temperature before being introduced to the leaves. The right temperature varies according to the exact type of tea, in the 60-90 degree range.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Its amazing how few people know how to do tea.

There is even a wiki..

"Green tea steeping time and temperature varies with different tea. The hottest steeping temperatures are 81 to 87 °C (178 to 189 °F) water and the longest steeping times two to three minutes. The coolest brewing temperatures are 61 to 69 °C (142 to 156 °F) and the shortest times about 30 seconds. In general, lower-quality green teas are steeped hotter and longer, whereas higher-quality teas are steeped cooler and shorter. Steeping green tea too hot or too long will result in a bitter, astringent brew, regardless of the initial quality, because it will result in the release of an excessive amount of tannins."

Reply to
dennis

He probably got a job designing the tea/coffee/chocolate vending machines we use at work.

Reply to
alan_m

I have probably told this tale before, but some years ago I was allocated a youngster on YTS (so actually being paid) to do clerical work. She seemed to have been swiftly moved on from other departments, and I think I was a last resort.

We will draw a veil over her complete failure to accept that, in her position, she was generally expected to do what was asked of her, when and in the manner instructed. Discussion was fine, but somehow the outcome was never taken on board. There seemed to be a curious misconception that I would not notice what was, or was not, happening.

She was doing an NVQ, and each week had various sheets to complete, which I had to countersign. One week the subject was use of the telephone. She duly completed her log, and presented it for authorisation. She had the brass neck to declare, for all to see, that at least 40% of the calls she had made were personal. I suggested that maybe she might like to present matters in what, to me, would seem a more favourable light, but she could see no problem. I signed as requested.

Her training supervisor also despaired of her. I cannot recall if she ever got her qualification, she certainly wasn't offered a job.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Perhaps they live at a higher altitude...

Reply to
Richard

Well, come to think of it, yes. About 1000m above sea.

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , alan_m writes

Not that, he wasn't that sort. Mind you, given the location and passage of time, he could be father to one of Adam's many apprentices.

Dishwasher ? Mugs were hand washed in the sink. The closest that I can think of (bearing in mind the passage of time), was that rather than putting in a teaspoon of coffee powder (as the rest of us did), he'd used a heaped serving spoon, but it was clear from watching him, that he hadn't.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Maybe it depends on the leaves. I googled it. :)

"what temperature should water be for green tea"

The proper brewing temperature for most sencha green tea is between 70C ~ 80C (158 F ~ 176 F) degrees. Note that this is much lower than boiling point of water which is 100C (212F). How to Make Green Tea - O-Cha

whisky-dave

I would imagine this would be an international airline's choice of tea. I'm reminded of a programme about the features of a Jumbo jet in regard to the "High Tech" Tea brewing machines where it was claimed that the ideal temperature of 87 deg C was very tightly controlled for optimal brewing of, presumably normal Indian Tea, when in fact it was simply the highest temperature they could get away with before it rapidly boiled off just a degree or two higher at the reduced cabin pressure corresponding to an altitude of 10 to 12 thousand feet.

Even for sea level aclimatised people, a life support environment which rapidly transports them to an altitude of 12 thousand feet is no real stress upon their physiology but has the virtue of considerably reducing the stress on the airframe and the additional vampire load of air conditioning pumping losses on the engines which improves both fuel economy and the number of take off and landing cycles that can safely be withstood before metal fatigue takes its toll on the airframe (also, the slight reduction in the mass of the cabin air will make a further contribution to fuel economy).

In short, the passengers are subjected to a manageable additional stress in order to reduce operating costs to the airlines (and ultimately the ticket prices). The most notable side effect being the need for a High Tech tea brewing hot water supply to avoid generating excess cabin humidity and electrical power consumption.

Reply to
Johny B Good

Actually the main thing is that since the air is thinner there's less drag - it's easier to push less mass out of the way.

Although cabin altitude is normally only about 5000ft, even on Concorde.

You're much closer there. It also affects taste, as does the low humidity.

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris