You and Yours (R4) DIY webchat

Further to a suggestion I made some time ago, the latest in You and Yours' series on DIY is to be broadcast tomorrow (Thursday 4th September) from 12 mid day on Radio 4. The programme will be followed by a "live webchat".
Although the official subject for the item will be loft conversions I believe that there may be scope to introduce questions about the anti-DIY proposed electrical regulations. I will not be in a position to participate, so thought I'd bring this to the collective attention of the group in case anyone else fancied a go.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/youandyours /
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

Hi,
I was interviewed for the programme as they were interested in experiences (good and bad) of loft conversions, so interested that they visited to have a look at mine. No idea whether they'll be using the material but I'm looking forward to tomorrow lunchtime to find out. (Maybe) fame at last!
Good luck with getting a bit of exposure for the proposed wiring regs - good idea.
Regards,
Simon.

geoff

I heard the prog but no mention of Simon - although I was interrupted.
As far as I could see it was the usual Y&Y stance about how things can go wrong.
Mary

Simon said:

Right, I'm sorry I didn't realise I was listening to you!
Like all communications media they always over edit though and end up telling the story they want to tell. It makes it difficult for the listener/ viewer/reader to make up his/her mind about something, I find.
Or perhaps I'm too picky :-)
Mary

How did you do that then?
I thought these Real Audio downloads were designed in such a way they couldn't be recorded without some special cracking software. The name Streambox comes to mind, but even then I think it was quite a rigmarole.
When I've wanted something I had to record the audio out of my sound card on a conventional tape machine. -perhaps that's what you did?
Roger
On Thu, 4 Sep 2003 22:02:54 +0000 (UTC), "Bluestars"

Here's a couple of explanations
http://woodyswatch.com/windows/archtemplate.asp?6-13 http://radio.about.com/library/wyntk/blwyntk-streaming.htm?PM=ss12_radio
and probably more here http://www.google.com/search?as_q=recording+streaming+audio
-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

Thanks for your help, The links provided some useful info, but the sites have more cookies and probably worse, than I could shake a stick at, so after visiting I'll have to clean out my computer.
The solutions seem to fall into two types: 1. 'Crackers' to capture the original source file, eg Streambox as I originally mentioned.
2. Software to enable recording of the sound card audio channel.
I'm rather disappointed that my sound card from Creative doesn't enable recording the audio channel as a matter of course. Feel as if I bought a car with no steering wheel. I'll be looking for this feature built in with the next sound card I buy.
Roger
On Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:08:30 +0000 (UTC), "Bluestars"

Sorry about the cookies; I use Ad-Aware from Lavasoft to keep them flushed out so didn't notice the problem. Shareware version available from http://www.lavasoft.de /

Yes, I know you tried it. The link was really for the benefit of lurkers who might be following the thread, plus I was not sure how far you got with it.

-- Phil Addison The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at http://www.diyfaq.org.uk / Remove NOSPAM from address to reply

'Total Recorder' will let you record whatever you like by inserting it's own drivers ahead of the sound card. It'll cost $12 to record more than 30 seconds, but you may stumble upon a 'tweak' that removes the 30 second limit.
Toby.

A quick google search revealed ...
http://total.recorder.v3.0.crack.by.laxity.cracks.lomalka.ru/CRACKS/T/O/T otal_Recorder_v3.0_Crack_by_Laxity.en.html
--