York Maxitwin Radiator Valve

I have moved into a house with 8mm microbore central heating. I would like to know how to fit one of the dual entry valves but dont know anything about them. After looking a one in a merchants I am particularly concerned about making the compression joint beween the valve and the rad tail and what type of fitting is needed for the inlet pipe into the radiator.

Thanks

Edrich

Reply to
Edrich

This question comes up from time to time.

If you have any choice in the matter I would try to put a valve at each end of the radiator, usually the etra length of 10 or 8 mm pipe can be hidden behind/under the rad itself.

There are some good reasons for this.

1) You will have a larger choice of valves, in fact any 15mm valve can be fitted with a reducing olive set to take 8 or 10 pipe. 2) Dual entry valves need to have an internal pipe attached which takes the flow/return water to the opposite end of the rad internally. This can and does break resulting in rad becoming hot only in one corner. 3) Radiators can be drained and removed for decorating. I'm nearly certin that this can't be done with dual entry unit without draining everything.

The downside is that if the existing is in working order leave well alone.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

My house has the same valves - the installation must have been easy. The radiators are always removed for decorating (Ed). It is easy as the opposite end has a drain c*ck. Just close the tap and the lockshield, open the drain and the airvent and lift the radiator away bearing in mind there is the tube inside. My tubes are nylon and can be left in place or unscrewed once the radiator has been moved away slightly.

I am dreading the time when I need my Worcester Heatslave replacing and will have to change these valves and bodge the pipework so that I can have naff thermostatic valves fitted.

Reply to
john