Yet Another Socket Question

Hi Folks,

I'd appreciate your help. To cut a long story short, I'm looking to add another socket into my kitchen. The easiest socket to spur off is one in my garage; drill through the wall, run the cable, bingo! But I have two questions:

1) The socket, in the garage, I am gonna daisy chain off is a single socket run straight from the consumer unit, i.e. it's not part of the main ring. It's my understanding that I'm perfectly fine to chain of this with 2.5 T&E to a double socket outlet. Is this true?

2) The easiest place to run the cable would be along the bottom of an external door. It doesn't appear damp but I'm worried that it might get so. Am I right to be nervous about damp? Is there something I should do, or something I can apply to the area in precaution?

I really would appreciate your help, I'm getting lots of conflicting advice. Thanks in advance.

JH

Reply to
JH

What is the MCB rating of the radial circuit? If 16/20A, then no problem. If

30/32A, then technically it could be justified, but it would be better to continue in 4mm, or even 6mm, especially if there is any likelihood that it will be extended further at a later date, which would be dangerous if 2.5mm had been used.

I wouldn't worry, provided it is safe from mechanical damage (i.e. from kicking or treading). If it is exposed to much direct sunlight (i.e. is actually outdoors), then consider Hi-Tuf, which is UV safe. Slight dampness is no problem, though.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Thanks for the advice Christian. FYI: the rating is 30 and extending is a possibility I can't rule out. So I'll up to 6mm. Why do I always ask the question after I've bought the equipment!? Back to the shop.

Thanks again.

Cheers, John

Reply to
JH

What size is the cable into the original socket? Does it, too, need uprating? Are you absolutely sure about the way this socket is wired - it isn't perhaps already a spur from the house ring?

I realise it's probably a bit late to be asking these questions now: you posted 11 hours ago :-) but one other thing to think about: 6mmsq cable doesn't go willingly into a standard socket terminal if there is also another cable present. If the original is wired in 4mmsq, you're going to find it a bit of a squeeze.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove