Yet another new boiler question

My brother-in-law, who lives with my sister in what was my parents retirement home is considering his options with respect to the scrappage scheme. The Baxi Boston boiler (installed 1994), a floor mounted open flue type with a permanent pilot light, would appear to qualify but as I can?t find it on the Sebuk site I can?t be sure. However the major problems are what to replace it with and where to site the replacement.

In 1994 the hot water tank circuit was still gravity fed but the system is now fully pumped and there are no plans to shift to a combi. The house is a chalet type bungalow with a loft conversion and there is nowhere suitable on the outside walls for a balanced flue due to the many windows, etc. and access to what is now a very small loft is too poor to consider mounting a boiler there either. I don't know whether open flue boilers are still an option but I would not want to see a replacement open flued boiler so the replacement will have to have a balanced flue.

ISTM that there are only 3 realistic mounting options.:

  1. A wall hung boiler in the kitchen with a balanced flue threaded up the existing flue but that would involve a flue of at least 20 feet.

  1. A wall hung boiler in the bedroom immediately above utilising the same flue as option 1. That would reduce the flue length to about 12 feet.

  2. A wall hung boiler again in the bedroom above but with a flue exiting the roof either vertically or horizontally. Flue length 6 to 8 feet. With a 45 degree roof sealing the roof would be equally awkward either way. (Is a 45 degree flue available for some makes?)

With all 3 options the condensate drain might bring problems as there is currently no access to the void beneath the suspended ground floor and no realistic prospect with options 2 or 3 of reaching the upstairs drainage on the other side of the house.

Neither my B-I-L or my sister are techno freaks so whatever is chosen has to be easily installed by the local heating engineer and easily operated by the residents. The late lamented Andy recommended:

"If you want to choose from among the best quality products, then look at MAN Heiztechnik

and Viessmann
"shortly before he died and I might go down that route myself when my Potterton Profile finally dies but the family needs something relatively uncomplicated.

Some of Dribble?s recent pronouncements might also have merit if the lily gilding is ignored but I doubt that the local plumber would be happy with something exotic.

John Stumbles, who as an installer should be in a better position than most to know about poor product, seems to have been a consistent supporter of Worcester-Bosch but is there anything else out there with a comparatively good service record?

I have not been as assiduous as I once was in reading the ng but ISTR that long balanced flues were restricted to Keston who have had reliability problems if the comments I have read are anything to go by.

To sum up:

Am I right in assuming that Keston is the only make for mounting option

1 and possible option 2 as well and if not what else is available?

Is there a reliable alternative to Worcester-Bosch for mounting option

3? And can any of the boilers have a 45 degree flue instead of a horizontal or vertical one?
Reply to
Roger Chapman

There are about 10 bostons listed for Baxi Heating, all have estimated efficiencies of

Reply to
andrew

Thanks. It looks to me that that information is only on the BG site. I had another go at finding it on Sebuk.com with no more success than before.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Pretty sure it's not on there - I d/l-ed the comma-separated data file (bedf2005.dat) and it's not in there. Neither are some others I've been looking for. Have you tried

It doesn't give an actual figure but it does give a yay or nay.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Thanks for that John. The site seems to list all the Baxi boilers Sedbuk fails to. I presume the actual boiler is the Baxi Heating Boston 60 OF which is likely to qualify for the scrappage scheme.

I have had a look at the W-B site and none of the listed installers are particularly local and certainly don't include the firm that installed and currently service the Baxi Boston. I note they say they only deal with the trade but does that extend to firms that don't appear on their list of installers?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Not sure what you mean there. I'm sure I'm not listed by W-B: I just buy W-B boilers from the merchants (on the boiler scheme nowadays which gets about £50 off the best internet prices) and fit 'em. On the couple of occasions I've needed technical help or a call-out they've dealt with me quite happily.

Reply to
YAPH

I got the impression that W-B might be running a closed shop with only selected installers being allowed to install W-B boilers. I am glad to hear that that is not the case.

Reply to
Roger Chapman

Some boilers use cheap drain pipes for the flues. Keston, Ethos for e.g., A condensate pump can be added. Cheapenough these days. The W-B Highflow series of high flow stored water combis van have them built in.

B/room? Stupid place for a boiler.

W-B are overpriced and overrated. Their control systems are lacking. Better around for the price, as they are being left behind until their new range comes along. Try Remeha Avantaplus, with the outside weather sensor. Remeha have just bought out Baxi. Expect to see their boiler rebadged with a Baxi badge.

Most have 45 degree bends.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel