Yes folks, its cheaper to heat with electricity!

I think so. I thought there was just too much for the river to handle coming in off the mountains. But they said the flow could be faster down the river by taking awy restrictions or maybe some river diversions around locks or watever, and flow into a large low level (low tide level) lagoon.

The people in Shrewsbury were told, in the local press, that the barrage would create a low level lagoon to absorb the water and dispose of it on the outgoing tide. I recall they were on about some means of allowing the water to flow quickly past certain parts of the upper reaches of the river and past Gloucester to empty into the lagoon which is ~32 foot below sea level virtually all of the time. So the theory went.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

On or about 2008-04-30, Doctor Drivel illuminated us with:

Shrewsbury is around 100 miles (give or take) upstream of the tidal bits of the Severn and just over 50 metres above it. It really can't be backing up like this or vast areas downstream would be flooding. By all means cite something to show I'm wrong, but I simply don't believe that such a mechanism is possible, i.e. actions in the tidal stretch of the estuary having such an immediate effect in Shrewsbury.

I have an extremely strong suspicion that somewhere along the line the proposed Severn flood barrage *above* Shrewsbury has been conflated with the proposed Severn tidal barrage two counties away.

>>I can understand Gloucester being affected, but certainly not

Reply to
Mark Ayliffe

About a gigawatt. 1% of the countries *total* energy usage.

About the same as one medium sized nuclear power station.

That has a footprint of less than a square mile.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Plnanning PERMISSIoN with greenies and Nimbies blockading roads and saying 'we dont want our babies with two heads' etc etc,.

No problem there. Eon and EDF are both hunding British Energy because its gotr siites that already HSAVER planning permissin and nuclear reactors. Ok there hasn;t been a new reactor in Germany (EON) for 20 years, but the Finns hae a new one..EDF runs the french reactors, which work OK,.

CANDU reactors from canada are in use all over the world at very high uptimes and load averages. And very good power per unit csts.

There is no need to design a new one: just use what works well, and fits he bill.

The biggest stumbling block is public opinion and having to gainsay everyone who says "what about ?"

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

People will make decisions based on emotion when they haven't been given the facts.

Prejudice is a better than nothing substituite for better experience.

Man A has only met a dog once, and it barlked and snapped at him.Man B keeps dogs in a kennel for a living.

Man A only has prejudice to go on, he is likley to regard all dogs as dangerous.

Man B will have a much more complete picture of te range of natures dogs come with, and what makes them snap and what make them roll over ob their backs to get their tummies tickled.

The problem goes back to people who actually gain power through other peoples ignorance, who like to foster mythology, and subvert the educational process.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And dont forget that Calder Hall caught fire because of political pressure to push something beyond its limits to try and make an H bomb.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dont see the need for a thermal store particularly, but yes, I will be looking at ground based liquid type heat pumps.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, but the Co2....

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Gas turbines are so inefficient (around 27% IIRC) that using them to back up wind turbines ends up using MOTE fuel than ever, if the turbines are over a few percent of the grid.

Sure, you can tack a steam turbine on the back, but then you are back to square one in wind up time terms.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know, get the army in if necessary. If it's that or massive blackouts with no end in sight...

Of course if the situation aises, I expect the greenies and nimbies will be no different to anyone else in demanding that something is done.

Ok... I think once we've had a massive blackout or two - with the associated pandemomium, things might be a lot different to how they stand right now...

It's just a shame it'll take such a crisis to actually get anything done :(

Reply to
Jules

In message , tony sayer writes

No, just Drivel bollocks

Reply to
geoff

In message , Doctor Drivel writes

Look, you retard, Shrewsbury is way beyond the tidal reaches of the Severn. The Severn is 180 feet above sea level in Shrewsbury

It's source of flood water is from the welsh hills, not the Severn estuary, my brother's garden is often submerged, but .. the water isn't salty, surprise, surprise

Having lived there until my early 20s I think I know better than you

Reply to
geoff

Theres yer answer then!, get the Froggies to build the reactor there and sling across another bit of DC wire in the Channel;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Can they predict the wind to within a few hours? If not its too long.

Reply to
dennis

In article , geoff scribeth thus

Suppose though if its saturated then it won't drain so quickly?..

So where does it drain to then?. Seems its a rather low area surrounded by much higher ground?...

Reply to
tony sayer

AFAIRC and standing ready to be corrected.

Calder Hall never did catch fire but became uneconomic to operate as the graphite core distorted because carbon atoms were displaced from the lattice of graphite.

Pile one operating from earlier than Calder hall had a thermal runaway and the fuel rods burst and reacted with the CO2 coolant gas whilst Calder Hall was separately online. The cause was that the pile was run well under design temperatures, because its purpose was to make plutonium not power, the temperature turned out to be too low to anneal the above mentioned distortions, a fact known to the manhatten project by this time but not conveyed to the british, so the energy in the dislocation of the carbon lattice had built up and was spontaneously released. I cannot for the moment remember the chap that this energy stored in the crystal lattice is named after, German and starts with a W is as near as I get.

AJH

Reply to
andrew

Very true. However, I think that the Wash barrier plan is mainly to do with flood defences: the power generation aspect is by way of being a freebie. :)

Reply to
Brian L Johnson

In message , tony sayer writes

being a river, it carries on downstream, often putting Ironbridge 15 feet under water. In between are mature meanderings and classic ox-bow features on the plain which also floods.

In the days before the weir was built (it's about 2 metres IIRC) Shrewsbury used to seriously flood and our house would have had the ground floor well and truly submerged. I have a photo somewhere of someone rowing a boat up the aisle of Shrewsbury abbey

But whatever - there is no way that any tidal effects would be felt until most of the polar ice has melted

Reply to
geoff

I confused Calder hall with windscale.

definitely did catch fire, as air cooling of white hot graphite was almost bound to do so.

They shut of the cooling and doused it with water and it went out.

Believe it or not Britains worst ever nuclear accident is estimated to cause only 33 excess deaths.

Compare coal mining and oil exploration.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

According to the promoters of one scheme 214 40 MW turbines giving 8.6 GW on the flow and 2 GW average. (The website actually says MW rather than GW for the output so has it been hacked?

So quote a particular large nuclear power station within the UK, or even without.

So would the Severn Barrage.

Reply to
Roger