Yellowing UPVC trim on external door

We moved into a new -build house almost two years ago. The trim around the glass panel on the front door has started to yellow, I assume from sunlight. The door itself is fine. As we are still within our 2 year snagging period we have contacted the builder' Customer Care only to be told this is can be rectified by "under-coatingand painting over the trim with gloss paint"

We are not convinced that this is correct and that it is a fault with whatever door company supplied the doors---------we have noticed some doors on the estate are the same.

We would be grateful for any comments from anyone who is familiar with external UPVC doors!! Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland. Removex to reply

Reply to
Elizabeth

In article , Elizabeth writes

UPVC should not yellow, that's what the "U" stands for (ultra violet stabilised or something like that)

The builders are trying it on and hoping you will go away quietly.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

True.

No, it stands for unplasticised. This has nothing to do with it not yellowing - PVC is very UV stable.

Reply to
Grunff

I stand corrected on that point.

I still think the builders are trying it on.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

You have a legitimate complaint.

Althouhgh the "U" does indeed stand for "unplasticised", PVC intrinsically has rather poor UV stability and will yellow easily. It has to be formulatd with stabilising additives to give it yellowing resistance.

Its quite common for people to use high quality PVC formulations for frames etc, then spoil the job by using a lower grade trim material which goes yellow (or pink sometimes) in sunlight.

Reply to
Norman Billingham

As far as I am aware, it used to be (Greek letter Mu)PVC - as this was difficult to deal with, it changed to uPVC, subsequently and even more inaccurately called UPVC. Nothing to do with "U.V. stabilised".

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Sorry, but the main benefit of uPVC is no painting required, so I regard that as a non-starter. Once you've done it, you would have to repaint it just as for a traditional window.

Is this the PVC itself, or are you referring to the rubber sealing strips against the glass? When I was choosing the options for my uPVC windows, white rubber seals was one option. My fitter warned me off because you always get a line of black dirt forming where it contacts the glass which you can't see with the black rubber, and because it discolours.

Actually it stands for unplasticised, i.e. the more solid form of PVC as opposed to that used for making cables.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:47:16 +0100,it is alleged that Chris Bacon spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

I was under the (possibly false?) impression it stood for "Unplasticised" (IE no plasticiser added such as is the case with cable insulation). I have also seen it written PVC-U or PVC(u).

Reply to
Chip

That's a new one. Is it not urea polyvinyl chloride then?

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

In article , "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)" writes

Well I'm glad it's not just me that didn't know what it stands for.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

That's right.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Yes, it is not.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks to all for their comments.

Andrew, it is the "supposed" white trim around the glass panel that has yellowed not the sealant.

We will again do battle with "Customer care" (sigh)!!!! Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland. Removex to reply

Reply to
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

With respect, you have not answered Andrew's question.

Is it the EPDM (rubber) gasket or the hard PVCu glazing bead that has yellowed?

Since the glazing bead is (almost) always on the inside of the door I am going to assume that it is the rubber gasket on the outside. Andrew is absolutely right to suggest that a black gasket is better, for the reason that he has stated. In this case you could go to a local fabricator and buy 6 metres of black gasket for less than a fiver if he can match the profile of your yellow one.

If your problem is with a yellowed external glazing bead (the hard one) then a replacement is the only viable option. The suggested paint job is utter nonsense and would only last for months rather than years.

Reply to
Ziggur

Sorry, should have made myself clearer, it is the external hard glazing bead that has yellowed ( only the part that catches sunlight ) not the rubber gasket which seems to be covered by the glazing bead

BTW there is also a glazing bead on the inside.

If we were to get a second opinion from someone to give us more clout with the builders is there a uPVC "ombudsman" so to speak who we could contact?

Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland. Removex to reply

Reply to
Elizabeth

Elizabeth

You could contact The Glass and Glazing Federation, they have a web site.

Take a look at -

you can ignore all of the Screwfix adverts there are links to sections at the left of the page which you can browse for good information.

Good luck

Reply to
Ziggur

Thanks Ziggur for your reply Acted upon! Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland. Removex to reply

Reply to
Elizabeth