yellow marking out chalk availability?

Sticks of yellow chalk about 1.5in dia used to be used decades ago for marking out all sorts of work from building to welding.

Chalk lines marking out work were quite persistent - it took a good washdown to remove any left.

Sticks were quite stiff and strong unlike white chalk commonly sold for children's use which are very brittle and water soluble by comparison.

I last handled a piece 15+ years ago. Since then yellow spray paint seems to have taken over for marking out things like pavement repairs.

Is this type of yellow chalk still available? If so from where? Does it have a trade name?

TIA

Reply to
jim

Give this a try

Tom

Next time you see Transco dealing with a gas leak have a word. They seem to use it round here after drilling the pavement and probing for gas, they draw all these yellow 'trident' symbols in what looks like some sort of big wax crayon. I only really notice it now I had reason to call them a couple of months ago.

Reply to
Part timer

Next time you see Transco dealing with a gas leak have a word. They seem to use it round here after drilling the pavement and probing for gas, they draw all these yellow 'trident' symbols in what looks like some sort of big wax crayon. I only really notice it now I had reason to call them a couple of months ago. You have the answer! After looking long and hard like the OP, I pinched a thick wax crayon from visiting grandchildren's drawing set. Works fine on smooth and rough surfaces, and is persistent.

Reply to
Olav M