YAGI: Yet Another Good Idea!

Hi Folks, Well, I think it's a good idea (hence the Subject line).

It sounds blooming obvious when you think about it, but I'm sharing the concept just the same.

Scenario: Our 1999 kitchen needs a freshening coat of paint, hence I've got the sugar soap out to degrease the walls before I recoat them. My wife and I are reasonably tall (she's 5' 10", I'm 6' 2") so when we bought the kitchen we chose tall wall cupboards to increase the storage and avoid the temptation of putting items on top of the cupboard. Whilst on my rare visit to the eight inch gap between cupboard top and ceiling I noticed the quantity of dust there: enough to plant flowers in (yuk!). So, after a good ten or more minutes scrubbing I've time to consider the next ocassion when I will repeat the event - something to be avoided.

So now, the Good Idea is to use an old newspaper to line the top of the cupboards (all hidden behind the pelment thinggy on top of the cupboard - it's not a "pelmet" it's a "..." damn, can't remember the word).

Simple. Effective. And in another 4 years time all I do is gather the newspaper and bin it and replace it.

Just passing on the tip.

Mungo :-)

Reply to
Mungo Henning

Yep - that's what I do, but with lining paper.

However...Newspapers might be more interesting when it comes to cleaning up after 10 years - it's give you a nostalgia trip just reading 'em.

...and the word you're looking for is "cornice" - "pelmet" goes under the cupboards and "plinth" goes along the floor to hide the legs of the base units.

"plinth" is also (mistakenly?) referred to by some people as "kickboard" although, I always thought that was the metal plate screwed to the bottom of doors to avoid damaging them over time due to kicking.

RM

Reply to
Reestit Mutton

I was hoping for an array of them.......... ;-)

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

"Mungo Henning" wrote | My wife and I are reasonably tall (she's 5' 10", I'm 6' 2") so | when we bought the kitchen we chose tall wall cupboards to | increase the storage and avoid the temptation of putting items | on top of the cupboard. | Whilst on my rare visit to the eight inch gap between cupboard | top and ceiling I noticed the quantity of dust there: enough to | plant flowers in (yuk!).

Yes it's not nice up there is it.

Even better idea might be to plasterboard the gap so the wall units look like they're flush in to the wall.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Si, do you know what a Henning is?