Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

I'm fairly sure mine said "automatic" on it - there was apparently a way of opening the sides that caused the bread to flip over when you closed them again ;-)

Reply to
gentlegreen

In message , Ioannis writes

(And you probably thought I was joking.)

Anywhere that's not populated so densely that they have to invent fictitious jobs just to keep wasters busy. A job on a site where the technical labour wasn't matched man for man by an office worker would be a good start.

I'm even thinking of dropping my trade. After 25 years as an electrician in the more industrial side of electrical and electronic engineering I'm just sick of red tape. Maybe I'll get a job as a safety officer. :)

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , snipped-for-privacy@care2.com writes

But still no real technical skills whatsoever.

I just discovered that in Norway they teach electronics at primary school, including soldering!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

I don't believe that it's quite as bad as that - AFAIK the guidelines are that ladders are not suitable for long-term access and are supposed to be for jobs that are not anticipated to take more than about 20minutes.

Only second-hand info though so I may be wrong - however it does make sense, since I do find that I feel safer the longer I spend up a ladder and so would probably become less aware of safety issues after a long period and more likely to take unnecessary risks.

Just been out inspecting 120 bat boxes in a woodland and the idea of having to set up scaffolding around every tree is outrageous!

David

Reply to
David Lee

The message from "David Lee" contains these words:

I saw a bloke putting up a Sky dish no higher than the top of the door lintel wearing a bash hat the other day.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , David Lee writes

Try taking a pair of steps near one of the larger contractors sites and see what happens. It seems that the contractors with the highest amount of deaths on their sites are "stricter" on their safety rules. This isn't because they care. It's because they want a way to blame any accident on the worker involved.

One in particular inadvertently admitted that the highest number of fatal accidents involved workers new on their jobs. Or in other words if you bring in unskilled labour off the street they are more likely to be killed on a site. Strangely enough that's why you don't let children play on building sites too.

It's not about proper training any more. It's just about shifting liability away from management. We'd be safer without the HSE.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Guy King writes

I'm surprised he wasn't forced to wear a safety harness as well. The weirdest thing is seeing the traffic light guys being forced to wear fall arrest harnesses. If they fall and the shock absorber in the lanyard deploys they will still hit the ground.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

The message from Clive Mitchell contains these words:

He was - but it wasn't clipped to anything as there wasn't anything to which to clip it.

Reply to
Guy King

Not sure I agree with that. Following a row on rec.arts.theatre.stagecraft a couple of years ago about an alleged CO2 incident, I spoke several times with the HSE guy responsible for the entertainment industry and I was very impressed with his attitudes regarding safety of smoke and dry-ice effects.

It may be what you are saying, but the problem is with managers shifting blame and HSE is the best safety police force we are likely to get - without them I doubt that those irresponsible managers would even bother about blame - let alone try to shift it!

David

Reply to
David Lee

Shh, for Chrissakes!

David

Reply to
Lobster

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

"Eraserhead", perchance?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Absolutely. As the side is hinged down, a little arm fastened to it nudges the bottom of the slice from behind, whereupon it slides down the open side, untoasted side uppermost, ready to be toasted.

Elegant simplicity.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

In message , Chris J Dixon writes

I had a toaster incident recently. It was at Glasgow's Christmas light switch-on and I was in our control cabin where the control computer for all the lights is. I'd decided that the control system should be plugged into the main power DB for the lights so that it was independent from the cabin power in case we had some unlikely incident that tripped the RCD and killed the controller.

This turned out to be a good move. A few minutes before the countdown I decided to abuse the toaster by making a cheese and ham toastie in it in a manner which involved jamming the sandwich into a single slot with force. This had worked every time I had tried it before, but on this instance, while the cabin was full of event management, I managed to make bread to element contact and trip the RCD plunging the cabin into darkness.

Fortunately it was easy enough to pop outside and reset the RCD in the mains pillar, and thanks to foresight the computer was still happily running ready for the switch-on without any heart-in-mouth reboot time. :)

Getting the untoasted cheese and ham toastie out of the toaster was a very messy affair.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mail.croydon.ac.uk writes

Heard that some of the digital projection systems use uncompressed video stored on huge drives. Makes sense from a quality perspective I suppose.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

The audio is usually uncompressed, but not the picture. It can be either MPEG or motion JPEG. The latter stores every frame, but each frame is still compressed. The system going in at Croydon comes with

750GB as standard, which I think can store something like five hours. It can be expanded up to an additional 750GB, in 250GB increments. Not that big really; in my main job, not cinema related, we have some LaCie thernet attached disk units, one rack unit high, and they hold 2TB each. You would need a lot more than that to store the picture in uncompressed form.
Reply to
furles

I thought that anybody who had ever been an impoverished student knew that bread should always be inserted with the green side to earth! ;-)

David

Reply to
David Lee

Well, I had picked up my father's soldering iron by that age, having got an interest in electronics probably from around age 7 or 8.

When I got to O-level physics, I recall being rather disappointed to find that we missed out on electronics and domestic wiring which I would have sailed through, whilst those in the bottom set who did CSE rather than O-level did have these in their course.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I saw one only yesterday. He'd used his harness to tie the top of the step ladder to the pole, because there was no ground surface around it which was horizontal enough to stand the ladder on with more than 2 of its feet on the ground ;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

No handy spotlight and frying pan on this event?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , snipped-for-privacy@mail.croydon.ac.uk writes

So what sort of resolution are the digital films projected at?

Reply to
Clive Mitchell