Y adaptor for 2 bulbs in celing pendant lampholder?

Now, that made me laugh.

I can hear Edith Evans delivering this in an upper class accent, a-quiver with indignation, the tone rising in horror at the end.

Ron Lowe

These were commercially available at one time. The cooker had a plastic cover with an interlock to prevent people from touching the electrodes. I purchased a used one when I was teaching lighting technology at the LRC in 2000. I used it to demonstrate why the students didn't want to touch live wires.

It makes good hot dogs.

Reply to
Victor Roberts

In very wide use on new builds as our Building Regulations require a certain number of luminaires that can only take energy-efficient lamps to be fitted.

Once the inspection has signed off, the builders take them out and move them to the next house, putting a 'proper' pendant set in its place.

BC roolz, man.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In message , David Hansen writes

Not so sure about these days, but I do remember seeing a shower panel that was basically a sheet of glass or plastic with the water channel zig zagging through it and a bare coiled element in the path of the water. I guess as long as there's a bit of earthed copper pipe at the output and perhaps the outlet end is wired to neutral then it should be OK. Then again, not everyone wires things correctly!!!!!!

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , TKM writes

Oh yeah! Not seen that one yet. Just a larger version of the GU10. I wonder if these types of connectors were inspired by starter contacts.

sense from a safety and connection quality aspect too. I guess it might even be cheaper to make the base and socket too. That should please the manufacturers.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

No. I've seen one company trying to push it, but with the prices they are charging and the lamps being single sourced and not available in stores (and several times the price of regular B22d equivalents), it won't catch on. I really don't see any point in introducing a new lampholder for integral ballasted CFL's. They are, after all, retrofit products. If you are designing a luminare for CFL's, it makes more sense to use separate ballasts which you don't chuck out every time you change the lamp, and 2-pin or 4-pin CFL's, or which there are a wide range of established types already.

We don't use it a lot in the UK. There was a period when we were getting a number of ES fittings coming from other European countries, but now that most manufacture of that type is moving to China, they're generally reverting back to B22d (which China does use too). ES was used for older spotlamps and floodlamps, but their use has dropped quite a lot anyway over last 10 years with more compact sources becoming more popular.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Actually, the one I've seen is GU-10 with an extra bump in the middle of the base to stop GU-10 halogen bulbs being fitted. That is what I thought you were referring to. Now that I've seen clive's picture, I don't think GU-24 exists here at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I've not seen the GU10 with a bump in the middle.....

The safety aspect is going in the right direction. I hope these fittings take off.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I get the feeling the way to promote a new GU24 or GU10 system (GU10 seems fine for home lighting applications) is to make it a safety thing and sell simple adapters that lock firmly into existing lampholders and allow the use of the new base. That way kids can remove the lamp but not get access to live contacts.

I'm sure a few faked pictures of screaming children with burnt fingers would soon appeal to the baby makers and establish the market.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@care2.com saying something like:

You can... NOS, from Oz.

Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember saying something like:

Very similar to a genset load bank I was familiar with some decades ago. Brine in solution and electrodes lowered into it until the required full amperage was reached. Left on long enough the tank would boil and the current shoot up into overload.

Same as the load tank - a screaming fit.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alex saying something like:

It's been a very long time since that was the case. Mind you, half of them are installed incorrectly and there are still a lot of older crap ones in use, so you're right in a way.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember David Hansen saying something like:

There are times where a BC light fitting is the only power source - like in a shed, boilerhouse, etc and such an adaptor is useful.

Too much bloody safety wankerism around these days.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I would say no chance as they aren't needed. (It's different for ES lampholders -- they do actually manage to kill people occasionally, whereas BC never has done). And as I said before, why on earth design a new lampholder exclusively for retrofit compact fluorescents? Just don't use retrofits with integral ballasts in the first place, and the problem is completely solved.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Absolutely. Are you guys and galls aware that on construction sites in the UK contractors have effectively been banned from using ladders and steps in case they fall off them? Instead we have to use "one man scaffolds" for even something as trivial as running a cable above a ceiling. As you can guess this is a complete chore and rather bad for ones back due to the lack of ease in height adjustment and trying to get these monstrosities through doors.

It's like the HSE said "Ooh! Lots of people fall at work so lets ban ladders." Well lots of people get knocked down by cars so lets ban them too. It's the same logic.

While I'm ranting..... A quick reminder for self employed UK contractors. Unless you have the CSCS certificate you may not be able to work on construction sites from next year. For electricians this is particularly grim since we have to get ours through the JIB and they aren't exactly well organised.

You can look forward to such questions as....

Your work colleague gets an electric shock and doesn't feel well. Do you:-

A. Get him a nice hot cup of tea. B. Send him home. C. Seek medical assistance immediately. D. Slap him firmly in the face and tell him to pull himself together.

Really. That's the level of questions.

Red tape and unskilled labour is making even the simplest job a chore. It's time to emigrate.

Reply to
Clive Mitchell

ROTFL!!

Where to though? This thing is catchy. In a few years nobody will be allowed to do anything without a Ph.D. in their respective field.

Reply to
Ioannis

Sounds good to me. I'll add one other thing, any new base should be as material efficient as possible, and theres no base more efficient than no base at all. That means wedge bulbs and bipins, either of which would make safer cheaper successors. Obviously the biguns would need to stay with ES, like the larger hardened PAR lamps.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Those are the ones I used to work with. Made in 1942, but they looked older. The arc was 40v at 40A. I remember one day one of us found one on show in a museum somewhere, we were still using them. Excellent optics.

No tending arcs, no CO from failed vent fans, no temporary blindness from looking in the back end at the arc, no changeovers, no one-sided tan from the arc... sounds boring.

The worst film I ever showed we got 2 of the 12 reels round the wrong way - but it was so bad no-one even noticed!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

But if things keep going the same way, by then most schools leavers will have a PhD :)

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 01:01:30 GMT someone who may be Clive Mitchell wrote this:-

After they had expanded their empire to include railways the HSE did consider grabbing road safety as well. However, they soon decided not to and later even ran away screaming when asked to look at workplace health and safety when the person concerned happened to be in a motor vehicle.

Reply to
David Hansen