XP & usernames

Hi All,

As mentioned previously, I have just set up a "new to me" PC with Windoze XP.

I have noticed that I not only have a username directory under Documents and Settings for

username

but also one for

username.machinename

Is this nornal?

If not, what causes windows XP to do this?

TIA

Chris

Reply to
cpvh

Most likely the one called "username" is from a previous incarnation of windows, and "username.hostname" is from the current one, you can also get a "username.domainname" variant. They extra ones get created when windows discovers that the folder name it wants to use already exists, so it adds the hostname, or domain name etc onto it to make it unique.

If you start a dos window, you'll end up in the folder which is current for the user, after copying anything you want (files, bookmarks etc) from the other one, you could trash it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for the reply Andy.

I suspected that might be the case.

I setup XP, and then had to set it up again. Should have done a quick format inbetween - Bah!

Am also using an American keyboard with the UK driver at the moment, mildly annoying until a minute ago when I tried to press the backslash key to the left of the Z and discovered not only that it wasn't there, but there wasn't an obvious way to get a backslash (there is doubtlessly an ALT code or selecting it from a pop up windows table, but I can't be bothered just now.)

Reply to
cpvh