XP Mode in W7 [OT in uk.d-i-y]

In message , at 23:51:27 on Tue, 22 Apr

2014, bert remarked:

No, it had chips (this was around 1976). MCM6810.

I'm not sure I've seen a microprocessor with core memory, although somewhere I have a delay-line memory from a small minicomputer that I bought as scrap in about 1980.

Reply to
Roland Perry

In message , at 00:06:53 on Wed, 23 Apr

2014, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

In widespread circulation from about 1975, actually. The 8008 dates from

1972.
Reply to
Roland Perry

Did it sit on top of the machine? I have a memory of a rack of boards sitting on top of it.

(Likely my imagination given that it was many years ago and pimply oiks like me weren't allowed in the machine room.)

Reply to
Huge

IIRC, mine still does. (I still have a paper one - I haven't moved house since the photo ones came in.)

Reply to
Huge

My paper one (valid from 1983, last re-issued in 1990) doesn't have category G or H; only B, B+E, C1, C1+E, D1, D1+E, F, K, L, N and P.

Reply to
Andy Burns

No, you are absolutely right. But the machine room had two large viewing windows and (a) the blinds were sometimes raised and (b) you could peer round the edge anyway.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can't answer this question but running in XP mode under W7 is v-e-r-y s-l-o-w. Much better to use decent virtualisation software such as VirtualBox.

Reply to
Mark

It appears IR incorrectly. Life's increasingly like that, these days.

Reply to
Huge

Hurrah! My memory isn't going completely.

Reply to
Huge

I was talking about the period of widespread adoption.

In the 60s IC were rare and expensive, In the 70s they were cheap and made the mini possible, MOS ICS were available, but were fragile, needed odd power lines and so on. Mid to late 70s we started to see CMOS IIRC.

But things didn't take off till the 8080,z80,6502 and 6809 days which was an explosion in computing that practically started around 1980.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , at 11:44:02 on Wed, 23 Apr

2014, The Natural Philosopher remarked:

Not "making microprocessors possible", which was what you said.

Indeed, microprocessor based things were entering mass market by 1977 with the Commodore Pet, Apple II etc.

Reply to
Roland Perry

I thought it was now obligatory (sp?) to change to a photocard licence even if not moving?

Reply to
cpvh

In 2015.

Reply to
Huge

Don't think so, unless it has to be renewed anyway - like when you reach 70.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I thought that 2015 was the date after which the paper counterpart to plastic driving licenses was to be phased out, not for paper licences themselves to be phased out?

The AA claims that parliament has set out the power to revoke all paper licences, but no date has been set for doing so.

Reply to
Andy Burns

That's supposedly 2014. Although since I haven't got a photocard, I don't care.

"Shortly after ..." according the DVLA. Is that "shortly" by DVLA timescales? In which case I'll long be dead and gone.

Reply to
Huge