X-post replacement flatbed scanner?

and outside of professional repro work, what use do you have for 140M pixel scans? ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Scanners are much easier to use than setting up a camera, lighting, changing pages, converting the files, etc. You just shove 50 sheets in the feeder and press go, comeback a few minutes later and there is a pdf waiting for you. I don't even need to turn the PC on as the Brother AIO will do it to a USB stick. However I do use the PC as it will create searchable PDFs which the printer doesn't.

Reply to
dennis

not in daylight

and a full-colour image which is awkward to convert to 2-level

You never take text to black and white. Greyscale yes.

The gimp can resolve all those issues. up the gamma.

they don't though.

probably.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Speak for yourself.

What feeder?

There you go.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The one on top of the A3 printer that cost £99.

I realise that for someone running linux, trying to use that appalling scanner software, that it may be easier to use a camera but for most its not. Why the linux software is so cr@p I don't know, the printer runs linux and it works fine.

PS I have an app on the phone that will do PDFs if I am out and about and feel the need to scan a document. I have never used it in anger.

Reply to
dennis

For printing on a 140MP laser printer? Ie. also 1200dpi (although mine only does 1200x600).

We're talking about scanning 'line-art' and text, which have sharply defined edges, and half-tone illustrations, not continuous-tone photographic images. It's possible also that a detail of a scan needs to be enlarged.

Reply to
BartC

Actually I'm still looking for a scanner (for paperwork) with a sheet feeder; stand-alone models seem very expensive and someone here pointed me in the direction of all-in-one machines, well below 100 quid, essentially subsidised by the hugely expensive inkjet ink. That's my plan - buy one of these and just use it for scanning - however I am having zero luck in finding one where I can be 100% certain that it will still scan when the ink cartridge is missing/empty/clogged up (as it always would be!) Not something they tell you in the sales blurb, and not really a valid reason for returning to the seller as "unfit for purpose!" :)

(If anyone has a recent all-in-one which definitely does this, I'd love to know about it!)

David

Reply to
Lobster

FWIW I have an epson 1640SU (SCSI, USB) which also has an ADF (Automatic Document Feed) mechanism. The ADF mechanism is not super- robust but works well enough; I'm certainnly pleased I bought it. the ensemble was an eBay buy, bought some years ago relatively cheap because the scanner was a 110V model. I reackoned that I'd be able to use a cheap 110V transformer for other purposes, justifying the extra < =A320, and that has proved to be the case...

As with others in this thread, I avoid all-in-ones and use a laser printer for printing.

Jon N

Reply to
jkn

Just gave away a new boxed Canon flatbed scanner on Free Cycle ... could try there .. be surprised what turns up

Reply to
Rick Hughes

The V33 is an excellent scanner (and the bundled OCR is great), but no transparency adapter. Photos, text, yes. Negatives, no.

Reply to
Rob

If you can find one second hand, the Epson expression 1680 Pro is well worth getting for transparency work. It has a full bed transparency hood, plus a selection of transparency holders that do anything from full format (4 up) to 35mm slides (21 up) and negative strips to make for very easy bulk transparency scanning.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yep - have to go to the V330 to get the transparency carrier. All on hold at the moment because I have XP running under VMWare Player and it is driving my original scanner.

Reply to
David WE Roberts