Wylex 63A RCD

I have a Wylex spilt load CU (from Screwfix) fitted with a 63A RCD, what I would like to know is this:- Is this device a 63A breaker as well as being an RCD, or is the 63A merely a maximum current rating for this device.

I want to fit 2 electric showers, 9.5kW each on seperate breakers but on the RCD half of the board, what will happen if both showers are on at the same time ? Will the 63A RCD trip, or will the 63A RCD smoke ??

I fully intend replacing the 63A RCD with a 100A RCD in due course, but am curious in the meantime.

Cheers,

Paul.

Reply to
Paul

"Paul" wrote | I have a Wylex spilt load CU (from Screwfix) fitted with a 63A | RCD, what I would like to know is this:- Is this device a 63A | breaker as well as being an RCD,

No

| or is the 63A merely a maximum current rating for this device.

Yes

| I want to fit 2 electric showers, 9.5kW each on seperate breakers | but on the RCD half of the board, what will happen if both showers | are on at the same time ? Will the 63A RCD trip,

No

| or will the 63A RCD smoke ??

possibly :-) It is certainly not Good Practice. Remember you also have the other circuit loads to consider.

Owain

Reply to
Owain