WTB Angle Grinder

|Mike Dodd wrote: |> Dave Fawthrop wrote: |> |>> On Thu, 23 Feb 2006 22:12:36 +0000, Andy Mabbett |>> wrote: |>>

|>> | |>> |Having recently had use of a borrowed angle grinder, I'm looking to get |>> |a cheap one, to keep in "just in case". |>> | |>> |Any recommendations? Anything I should know before buying one? |>> | |>> |What about this nine-quid Aldi model? |>> | |>> |

|>> | |>> |They're also doing two sets of cutting discs: |>> | |>> |
|>> | |>> |

probably but, take it easy.

You may have to attack the slab from both sides.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

I'd say better than polyester mixes but a chrome leather welder's jacket seems to be best.

All my polyester blend overalls have burn holes in them from grinder, welder or just bonfire.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

All good advice on safety. I would add a couple of points. Eye protection should be to the old BS grade 1. I'm not sure of the latest standard but spectacles cannot meet the standard by design, only goggles can. However, not all goggles meet the standard. Angle grinder wheels use an organic bond which deteriorates over time. As a result they have an expiry date. This is normally stamped on the centre reinforcment rim. Failure of the bond could cause a wheel to disintegrate in use. ISTR the shelf life is 2 years. Many wheels sold at boot sales etc come from old stock that has reached it's life.

Reply to
John

EN 166 9B

Covers medium energy impact and molten metals. The letter B demotes medium impact, F denotes low impact. 9 denotes molten metals, 3 chemical liquids, 4 large dust particles and 5 gases and fine dust.

Construction of the 9B type goggles seems to be a polycarbonate rather than acetate shield.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Wow! a grinding wheel with an "use by 2007" date, hmmm! mine are solid material all through with a rim that's only purpose is to act as a centralised guide for the bush.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Don't live near any ex-Yank military establishments, do you?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Er.. No? It's a fairly common name. I get mis-directed invoices for a gentleman near Bedford. There may well be distant relatives around the area.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

If they're solid all the way through, then they're not angle grinder disks.

Reply to
Andy Dingley