Wrong sort of sand?

I have some bags of building sand left over from a construction project and SWMBO want to know if it would be OK to use that instead of horticultural sand for mixing with compost, soil improvement, etc.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

I've used leftover building project stuff (sand and decomposed granite) for plants, and never had any problems with it.

Reply to
S Viemeister

There is usually a relatively high (iron oxide? ) anyey teh thing that makes the sand stain yellow, in builders sand, but it does no harm.

Sharp sand is best, but plain old builders sand is pretty good .

I laid a lawn over a pile of it. Dies dry out a shade quick, but apart from that its fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

can't see why not -if it was ok to build with can't imagine what might be in it that would harm plants...

cheers JimK

Reply to
jim

Mike Barnes coughed up some electrons that declared:

I'd say so. It's pretty harmless, being sand, maybe some clay and some iron oxide.

My garden has taken that, gypsum, cement, stopgap 300 and emulsion washings everywhere and seems to be mostly still alive.

Mind you, the SBR/cement washings have made the lawn a bit "firm" in one place, but the grass is still growing!

Reply to
Tim S

The one issue is salt content, but it seems to be ok in practice

NT

Reply to
NT

I doubt if soft sand will improve the soil structure, but it probably won't do any harm either.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Even sea sand is pretty low on that, and builders sand usually isnt from the sea.

Our local stuff is alluvial, and a by product of gravel digging..or is it tother ways about?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It will if its pure clay. The particle sizes in clay are very small indeed. Amy sand works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It really needs to be quite gritty for soil improvement etc.

mark

Reply to
mark

I don't know about Amy's sand but as a soil scientist, I agree with the gist of the post.

Reply to
Clot

I notice B&Q sell 25kg bags of "soil improver". To be fair, it's the same price as sharp sand though.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Unless you're growing carrots :-D Don

Reply to
Donwill

Were you able to see what the 'soil improver' was?

mark

Reply to
mark

Yep. Sharp sand. Same bag, different lettering

Reply to
Stuart Noble