Wrong screw dilemma!

Yes!

I've tried the chewing gum thing and almost got loads of the stuff stuck on my new carpet, but emerged with nice minty fresh breath.

Reply to
Helen Mayson

Guys - thanks heaps for the suggestions. Will snap a pic tonight and see if that sheds any light on the subject. For now, I'll continue to sleep on an airbed while the various parts of my new bed clutter up my room!

Maybe I'll get a man in next time... :)

Reply to
Helen Mayson

.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not sure if you have a dirty mind or that was a comment on my DIY ineptitude.... :)

Reply to
Helen Mayson

Yup, a man knows how to screw...erm! things together. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Try this. Turn bed base upside down. It probably has a thin cover tacked across the bottom to stop you seeing the works inside. I would try to unstaple a bit of this so you can see what's going on inside (use torch)

- you might have to cut it if its not stapled. Chances are there is a cheap pressed steel nut, pressed into the head end of the base to take your screw. That might be rotating - if so you should be able to either hold it still with grips, or press it back into the woodwork so it doesn't rotate.

Alternatively just tell Argos it won't assemble right and to send a replacement. It really should be able to stand up to your minor error, especially as the instructions are so inadequate. Basically, if it's sold as self-assembly, it should be strong enough to stand up to your efforts to follow the instructions, and it clearly was not. If they argue, do a Google for "andy hall small claims court" for how to put the frighteners on Argos.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison
    • N
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

A "little man", or a big man?

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth (•¿•)

Hmmm! 'King size bed' use you're imagination man. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Just as well you've got the nice minty fresh breath then :-)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Superglue on a wooden skewer. You might even do it with bluetack.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If you are hitting it from above, all you are doing is forcing it deeper into the hole. Support the bed with about 2 foot (600 mm) above ground, with the screw point up and use a soft faced hammer from underneath. If you don't have a soft faced hammer, find a piece of softwood and place it against the bed and hit that. This might just be enough to get it out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Now we know that, the job is easy.

Using the screwdriver that you used to put it in place, gently rotate it backwards and forwards while you use a tiny screwdriver or pointer to encourage it out of the hole, by sticking it into the threaded part. When you can't move it any further out using the threaded hole, you should now be able to see the end of it that is furthest in the bed. Lever on this and it should just drop out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave