Would it be possible to have

According to RFC2606 the top level doamin "invalid" is invalid so .invalid is invalid.

However .invalid.com *is* valid. B-)

An invalid email address will, of course, mess up anyone wanting to

True but if you bung something in that a human can spot and remove that isn't a problem but I much prefer the "read it here, reply here" approach.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You are joking?

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

That'll just be me, then. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

Don't buy the one with the mother of pearl face. It is a fake. LOL :-)

I also bought, what I thought was, a motor bike, from these people. I ended up with a bag of horse manure. I thought the advert for a SackOhKaki was a Japanese motor bike.

Teee Heeee

Reply to
BigWallop

And, lets face it, this sort of discussion surfaces from time to time - nothing ever happens. Everyone knows it would lose it's unique character and become another boring, dry forum (in the general sense of the word)

Reply to
geoff

Good one to kick off the Andy Hall of Fame archive?

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

You and me both, loads of fake watches etc. It seems if you want Branstons 50mb/s (haha) you have to take his raw newsfeed. Well, you don't have to, but its convenient if you are on his cable network and it is fast, and certainly makes you learn how to craft neat filters. I use Forte agent for news, I like its filters, and Mailwasher for email filtering.

BTW, I had a look at the uk.d-i-y statistics today

and see we peaked at around 13k posts/month in 2004, now its around 6k and falling in spite if the efforts of the spammers :(

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

>>> and yet there is loads of good information being presented there - even >

Great minds an all that... ;-)

Tis why I had the link to hand - it came from my early collection of suitable stuff.

Anyone got any other recommendations? Google's search being partly broken at the mo is not helping.

(I have got the AH patented radiator flushing procedure, and the design of a outbuilding heating system)

Reply to
John Rumm

Nice to see Andy still sits at the top of the all time rankings:

22336 snipped-for-privacy@hall.nospam 21455 snipped-for-privacy@b.c 16466 snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk 13845 snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.null 12035 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com 12006 snipped-for-privacy@cucumber.demon.co.uk 11130 snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk 10813 snipped-for-privacy@argonet.co.uk 10111 snipped-for-privacy@kateda.org 9438 snipped-for-privacy@nospam.yahooxxxx.co.uk

(although I expect if you added the total for all of dribble's nyms he would win in quantity)

Anyone know what happened to Mr. McArdle, he also vanished rather abruptly?

Reply to
John Rumm

That's what it is, Phil. Virginmedia have a motto that goes something like "If the customer wants it, then why don't they do it themselves". :-)

As for the drop in postings to the group, that's just down to all the regulars having finished their own home renovations over these past years. lol We'll have to wait on the new generation of B&Qer to grow up a little more before we see it peak again.

Reply to
BigWallop

Thats great to hear.

Did you try the advanced page? I had problems earlier on the basic page but the advanced one was fine

(I have got the AH patented radiator flushing procedure, and the design

A few more for the pot...

Explanation of how condensing boilers only gradually approach their top efficiency as return temp falls.

Fein, one example

doesn't use B&Q

how to get your money back

sorry, don't have a links to hand. some searching due :-O

Aga, possibly

softener,
softener, rogue magnetic one
tool specs
folly of buying el cheapo

Wet room

Miele

He didn't like Br Gas

Any of the classic drivel vs andy Combi battles (guess who looses!) Ditto on housing politics

Microsoft Windows is a monitor not an OS

Dishwasher choice

there are so many good posts its a job to know what to pick.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Sadly not if those are the figures. I changed from argonet to my own domain when going broadband so mine add up to 27279. But of course if we're talking quality of postings there's no contest. ;-)

There's quite a few from the early days I wonder about. But it seems Newsnet ain't as popular as once. Some obviously prefer the pretty graphics of forums over content.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

So you also need to learn no stop making idiotic comments and responding to obvious spammers.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

We might be the last of a fading generation... those that would even countenance the idea that you don't have to "get a man in".

Reply to
John Rumm

I suspect that we may also be the last generation to use USENET. The vast majority of people I speak to about researching stuff have never heard of USENET or newsreaders.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

Oi! I'm in my 20s, I'm not exactly fading :-)

Some of my friends are completely inept with anything practical, others are engaged in major renovation projects. Most are somewhere between the two.

But that was probably true when you started using usenet, too.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

9th ?I don't belieeeeve it
Reply to
geoff

So you also need to learn no stop making idiotic comments and responding to obvious spammers.

MBQ

The replies I made to the actual cross posted groups and their respective administrators, are a lot stronger than the rant above. The rant herein was not meant to appear in those group, because I didn't want to create an influx of idiotic postings, "Just for the hell of it" style.

But my rant does seem to have had an impact on the quality of posts in this DIY group here, after people have realised that the cross postings were becoming an issue. I now notice that any replies being made by some folks of this group, are actually not appearing here because they are taking the time to remove this group address from the pile.

We don't all have filtering of the highest quality, so something needed done about the idiots. I chose to do something and not put up with all the garbage flowing through the usenet systems. I am truly sorry if my opinion is not that of the consensus, but I could not control my impulse to complain. That's just the way I am. :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

No need to apologise, especially to MBQ who expressed himself quite rudely. You have made some valid points, and also many useful contributions previously, always in good humour unlike some here that can't control their mouths.

While I'm here can I point out that your replies would be easier to read if you avoided the style of just running on below the post you are replying to. I see you are using Outlook Express, and though I haven't used it for years I believe it has an option somewhere to "quote the post you are replying to". That will cause some form of marker, as this "> " in mine above, to distinguish the original post from your reply.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

I still see her in a mailing list I frequent. Last saw her about a month ago (11 July).

Reply to
<me9