Wots with

These posts that seemingly follow on from something presumably from some other post with not a clue about what.Are we all supposed to be psychic?

Reply to
F Murtz

It's like Flashnewsgroups only a lot worse

Leaching the content we provide our of altruism, and monetizeing it with their adverts.

I'm nor sure if there is anything that can be done. If someone wants to set up some kind of bot that will automatically reply to these posts with a (polite) explanatory message about why posting that way to Usenet is unwelcome and perhaps even pointing them to Google Groups instead, I would support such a scheme.

Reply to
Graham.

How should we know?

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Not a comprehensive solution, but I filter on FlashNewsgroups.com in the article headers, and many others could do likewise.

Hopefully the site will prove unpopular and advertising revenue will shrivel.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Of course.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Sadly, the only effective solution would be to block the prorogation of all uk.d-i-y posts to this particular amoral leech.

Which is not only virtually impossible but against the general principles of Usenet.

Reply to
David

I knew someone would ask that.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Home owners hub or some such...

Not understanding the "temporary" nature of usenet posts, tends to mean they reply to old posts without quoting any of it, not realising that most readers won't have a clue what they are replying to, since the message vanished from their news server ages ago.

Might be worth the users have a quick read through:

To get a feel for what they are indirectly posting to.

Reply to
John Rumm

Is there any evidence that anyone posting via HomeOwnersHub ever reads any replies?

Reply to
Andrew May

Are you sure its not just a crossposted thread, where the original was on another group? There are issues as well with some servers not propagating some messages so the first you see is the RE: post.

There is, not just here, but on other groups, several other posters who nobody bothers to reply to as they are trolls or just using the group as their own personal chat line of course.

They generally do quote the original messages so you can at least get an idea of what its about if you want to, but be aware a lot of people do kill file those who tend to be foul mouthed or wind up merchants. Brian who wonders why uk.discussion.off-topic does not exist yet. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff