Wot no Beeny postings?

Fancy turning down the chance to make 150 grand profit. At one point they said "We agree with you but we're not doing it" ! Insane. Very interesting house, that 3 storey + basement turned into 2 maisonettes though. I wondered how the structural surveyor could tell that movement had not happened for 20 years. I guess moss growing over cracks etc .. The most interesting renovation program for a while tho. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Funny, I was listening to R2 earlier this week, specifically the Chris Evans show which runs a feature where a celeb comes on air and 'wins' time to promote their latest venture by answering daft questions. Sarah Beeny was on this week, so I thought, 'oh that must mean Property Ladder's coming back on'. But no, Beeny used her 30 seconds to rabbit on about her dating website

What's that got to do with property I asked myself?! So I expect she got given the R2 slot on the strength of the new series of PL but on reflection reckoned it would be more lucrative to plug her website... bet her producer was chuffed!

Yeah, couldn't believe that, and nor could La Beeny by the looks of the expression on her face.

[For those that didn't see the prog - this week's muppets had bought a large one-bedroom flat for too much money, in the wrong location (over a pub) and as usual had totally underestimated the refurb cost and overestimated the eventual worth of the property. Beeny points out that they've ballsed up, and are heading for a financial loss, or at best a break-even. But, she says, what you *could* do is divide the property into three studio flats, which could net a profit of 150K. No, said the hapless punters, that's not our vision for the place. As the man says above - 'insane'. By the end of the show, the punters had exceeded their budget by about 3-fold; had had to sell their own home to raise funds, had resorted to using their credit cards for borrowing the last cash, and - best of all - finally blew 10 grand on a state-of-the-art home entertainment system! Result was a loss of about 50 grand, IIRC]

I certainly think it's improved no end; no longer do we see total morons doing up houses and making all manner of mistakes while inevitably walking away with a fat profit (due entirely to house price inflation); we do now get to see people getting their fingers well and truly burned. Also like the format where they follow two developments rather than just one (one success story and one failure?)

David

Reply to
Lobster

I didn't see it but I was told that due to running out of money and hitting the credit card, they had run up over £40K in Fees.

-
Reply to
Mark

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "sm_jamieson" saying something like:

That couple must rank as one of the most stupid ever on that programme. They only bought the place to make money and to effectively discard The Beeno's advice as worthless is flying in the face of common sense.

That happens a lot on that programme - people kitting out houses as if they're going to live in the place themselves and totally losing sight of the reason they bought it in the first place, to punt it out for a profit.

I'm glad the other couple took heed of Beeny and made a nice bundle. They deserved to succeed, imo.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I disagree - I think think there have been many people as stupid if not worse - its just that this (and the last to some extent) is the first series that hasn't been in the middle of a massive rise in house prices, so when people have done it in the past they have still made profit due to the rise.

Reply to
Richard Conway

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Richard Conway saying something like:

Oh, for sure. Many of them were only saved by the rising market. There would have been many more with egg on faces otherwise. Might have made for better telly in a way and put off some of the talentless fuckwits that think it's easy.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Mind, they were *very* lucky buying an unseen property at auction that all that falling-down brickwork (which probably put off all the other buyers) turned out not to need underpinning.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Owain saying something like:

Jammy as f*ck, yes.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon