Wot-A-pong - Handbasin with cast in overflow - clean ?

Wot-a-pong

Ive a Twyfords hand basin , with a cast in overflow, the problem is cleaning =91inside=92 the overflow , I used to use a foaming bleach (harpic) and simply fill the 'chamber' but that=92s no longer on sale ,

So sometimes, after a warm period or the heating has been on I get a fowl smell from the overflow , ordinary cleaners don=92t have much affect, last time I used cling-film over the waste trap and flooded the whole sink with hot water and bleach , that solved the problem for a while , but its finally returned =85 bit messey, had to rip the film then to drain the sink

Any ideas on a cleaning product or way of dealing with it ?

Tnx =96 G ..

Reply to
Graham

Bottle brush and Mr Muscle

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Poke around, especially at the bottom to get out accumulated crap. Then make up a solution of Milton in a small spray and repeatedly pump a quantity in over several days. Milton's magic. Good for washer reservoirs too.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Does it smell like chicken shit ?

;-)

Reply to
judit

Ok well thats about all I have done in the past , problem is the hole is only about 20 mm and the cavity is much bigger ... funny thing , ive seen ad on tv this eveing for a foaming cleaner , for just this problem ... ill try that first - tnx G ..

Reply to
Graham

Well you can get very long thin brushes - more like a wire with little bristles

- I think Kleeneze or Betterware do them, which might get in further but the problem is they can become trapped.

The only reason I'm aware of this problem is because ours did a similar thing recently. Before doing the above, our trap has a removable grid and so I had rammed a cloth done the hole, in an attempt to retain water in the overflow for as long as possible, and then using a funnel and tube, filled the overflow with very hot water, which I guess dissolved some of the crud.

Then, after 3 - 4 days of the Milton, there has been no reoccurrence.

HTH Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

Not much point using bug killing products if you dont get rid of the crp. Better to use crp dissolving cleaners like hot caustic soda and fairly strong acids.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

fairly strong acids.

Not together or it will be a waste of both.

We had the same thing a few months ago, no amount of clearing solids or using Domestos or anything else worked.

I bought something called Buster Bathroom Sink Fresh plughole treatment, which came in a horrid magenta bottle .

That worked. And it foamed.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher