Wossit called?

The stuff that looks like a close coiled spring made of flat wire that bends to a shape then stays there.

Used for microphone holders & desk lamps.

Can't Google cos I don't know what to look for.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Gooseneck

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Interesting memories raised here! Here are a couple:

I was at school only the very posh kids could stretch to a flexicurve. All very cheap now!

And that George Carwardine came up with a very handy accidental invention.

Spamlet

I recall that machine tools often had low voltage light supports and coolant hoses made of a springy material that was plastic coated. They were supposed to stay where you aimed them. Superseded now by modular plastic pipes.

Reply to
John

Try this:

John

I recall working on lathes where the soluble oil was collected from the bottom of the machine and put in a container with a drain positioned to run onto the work. Kept having to stop to refill it. None of those new fangled hoses.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Modern machining calls for a good force of coolant right at the point of tool contact to lubricate the cutting action. We could never do that with a brush. However, we didn't normally go for such high removal rates.

Reply to
John

CPC have some quite cheap gooseneck microphone stands. I'm about to try them to support a USB microscope and possibly a compact camera for site macrophotography.

Reply to
newshound

Great fun if changing from steel to CI and using dry run ceramic tipped tooling...... Little ceramic tips go off like a missile when cooled rapidly by coolant ;-)